Importing ACAD Geometry (again)

busseynova

I know there's a topic on this below, but this question's slightly different. I'm a real beginner at this programme and am getting along ok, using bits of a few tutorials and info from here, but I'm having real trouble knowing which import setting is best to use for importing my models. Last time I used 'layer, blocks as node heirarchy' which seemed to group all objects that were on the same layer. Worked fine and pretty neat until I started to apply mapping to some objects, when it all got a bit confusing.

Am going to try just 'entity' now and see if that works, but interested to hear any thoughts.

Thanks.

untitled.jpg

It depends on what you're importing and how you have your CAD file set up. I usually either import by Layer, Color or by Entity. I don't really use the other options.

What problems are you experiencing?

Well with that original setting ('layer, blocks as node heirarchy') it seemed to be great for selecting objects for applying materials as I was able to use the selection menu (is that what it's called!?) to select all objects that were to have the same material applied. However when I came to map individual surfaes/objects, it became a bit tricky as all objects on a layer were associated and I couldn't get one bit of mapping to apply to one particular shape (although I did work out how to select individual shapes usuing the selection tools). When I used 'entity' yesterday it worked out better for mapping, but there didn't appear to be any way to select every object on a layer, although I was able to select by colour which achieved the same thing.

Sorry if my terminology is a bit confusing, as I say, I'm a total rookie at this.:unsure: