Material Mapping in ACAD2011

cggentry

I applied materials in acad2011 and the mapping is at an weird angle. I need it to be level and straigh. I know you're going to say use the "restore" option, but I assure you, that just places it at another obscure angle. My UCS is set to WCS, I'm working in a plan view, there is nothing off kilter... except the material map for this 1 piece. It's a floor in a million plus square foot facility, so angled slabs will be a bit noticeable. I'm not sure why Autodesk decided to make material application so much more difficult than it once was, but that's for another day. Anyway, the drawing is far to laggy for me to do this using the cursor, I need a way to do it with key in commands only. Any ideas?

Material mapping in Autocad has been buggy since the invention of wheel... :lol:

Case 1:

If your object is in a different orthography (not aligned to the World Coordinate System), you will see a tilted texture map.

To correct this,

• Re-align the object to the WCS
  • Make it a block (this would create a "sticky" origin for the block)
  • Now rotate it.

mapping_case_01.png

Note that if you explode this block now, the texture map would again align itself with the WCS. So, don't do it! :wink:

Case 2:

The object is already aligned with the WCS but still the texture is tilted to an odd angle.

This usually happens when you create a "composite" solid (a solid that loses its original geometry by undergoing unions, subtractions etc with other objects).

You can correct this by again union-ing a primitive box with the object. The default mapping of the box (which is in line with the WCS) would get imparted on to your object. When you're done, separate the solids and delete the box.

mapping_case_02a.png

mapping_case_02b.png

Note while union-ing the objects, select the BOX first, then the other object; otherwise the reverse would happen... :lol:

Hope that helps. :geek: