Lighting problems

rogle

Hi

I am having trouble putting lights onto one of my models. I am using mental ray rendering and I have applied a mr sun to get the sky and sun featured in the scene. This has given me basic daylight but I want to create some lights to put in a barn. I can create lights (free lights e.t.c) but they dont affect the model when it is rendered :x

Thanks

Edited by rogle

I tried using both. The light I wanted was a photometric free light but as that didnt work I tried a standard free spot but that didn't work either. Lighting is not my strongest point so il have a look at the tutorials that youve posted

Thankx

• 2 months later...

Im having the same problem , and becoming sooo frustrated . Ive tried creating a free spot photometric light , 60w bulb , and . .. . nothing !

Im trying to render an LCBO vintages dept model I created in CAD , using Viz 2008 . Ive spent the past 3 days viewing tutorials and try mimicking what they are doing , and still nothing . . If I could find a sample drawing with a light set up that works , i can compare the settings to what i havent done and try to figure this out.

Or , if there is a Viz lighting tutorial for dummies out there , it may help :(

but any help at this time would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Viz, but have you tried increasing the light intensity? I've found that when using photometric lights with a daylight environment I have to drastically increase the intensity in order to see the lights.

Yes , ive also tried to eliminate the sunlight/daylight and just set up any type of light that shows any sign of me being on the right track . the viz and 3dsmax interface are very similar , and ive tried it there also . I've mapped all the materials in Viz , and am ready to add lights , but 3 days of compete failure has me very discouraged . Is there any way i could upload 1 of my drawings , and have you put 1 simple light in it so i can see how it works , and that it DOES work ? lol . OR , is there anywhere i can download a drawings file with a light or 2 in it so i can examine the perameters ?

Thanks again

Yes, if you send me your Max file, I can take a look. If it's too large to upload here, you can email it to me. Click on the portfolio link in my signature and go to the contact page of my website. I'm at work now, but I can take a look when I get home.

Ok I mailed you a model of a prisoners box which ive tried to apply lights to with no luck at all .

Thanks mate !

John

Well , I downloaded a simple file with a wardrobe unit , that had a target spot set up . I then created lights that worked in the scene.

When i duplicate the identical light with the identical material in a new drawing , the lights dont work . When i opened the drawings,

there was a diologue box that opened that showed : Missing Dlls Filename:vraysky90.dlt Class:vraysky Superclass 0xc10 , and i clicked open , then the reformat units dialog box , then it opened . I think that these files that are opening are somehow enabling the lights to work , but im still not sure what is going on.

HELPPPPPPPPP !!!!! lol

But seriously , any help figuring out why this is happening would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

John

Edited by johnnybean

Ok I mailed you a model of a prisoners box which ive tried to apply lights to with no luck at all .

Thanks mate !

John

Ok, I believe the problem is the type of Shadows you had selected for the lights. You had them set to Adv. Ray Traced, which was throwing up errors during the render process. I switched the shadow type to Ray Traced Shadows and it rendered just fine. Give that a try and see if it works for you.