How can I determine the display size of dimensions?

I hope it is ok to tail onto this thread. I saw it was "sticky'd" on the beginners page so thought it might help someone else too. I have just joined here and am a beginner but this is the second explanation of associative dimensional annotations I have been through. The other is from a Brian Benton training video for AC 2012 I bought and neither of these is helping me understand how to display the annotations properly. Perhaps this may just be a display or view setting but I beleive I have checked them all at least 3 times =).

Even in the video he explains all the things explained here but does not explain exactly how to make the dims and ext lines notate and display properly, in model or paper view (view port). I have tried many ways to create a view port in paper space and annotation several dimensions. I constantly get different text sizes and ext line scaled differently within the same view port.....even after I have locked it.

I am also confused about notating dims in the model space within the paper space view port vs on the paper space outside of the model space view port? Perhaps this has something to do with my issues?

Again it may be because I don't understand another function/setting impacting this well enough yet?? I have tried/used every variable in the Dimension Style Manager on the Lines, Text and Fit tabs to no avail.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. :)

There are two ways (places really) to do dimensions, either in modelspace or paperspace.

I don't use ANNOTATIVE dims, will stay on thread topic with ASSOCIATIVE dimensions.

You will need to set up a single dimstyle which displays in the units of measure, and with the precision which you usually require.

There are lots of choices to be made in setting up a new dimstyle, you would typically start from the STANDARD dimstyle,

enter NEW, give it a new name and change or adjust whatever needs changing.

Dimension styles, once created are typically included in one's default template, in the interests of ease of use and conformity.

For now let's just assume we will use the STANDARD, or an existing dimstyle.

If you use associative dimensions then you really will be good to go.

Turn on your ENDPOINT, QUADRANT and perhaps your MIDPOINT OSNAPS.

Don't turn on NODES, as this will likely screw up the associativity of your dimensions.

I prefer doing dimensions and annotation in paperspace. Your viewports should be set up as you want them, scaled and LOCKED before you start doing your dimensions..

Start doing your dimensions, following standard dimensioning practices.

Be sure that the start and end points of each dimension are SNAPPED to a detail or feature of your drawing, as you are ATTACHING them to the geometry which the lines represent.

This is why I said to turn off your NODES, which are the defining points of your dimension lines.

You do not want your ASSOCIATIVE dimensions associated to other dimensions, but rather to the geometry which they define.

When done in this way you needn't concern yourself with the various scales which might be represented and used in your viewports.

The dimensions are all 1:1 based on the geometry to which they are ASSOCIATED (or attached).

If later the length of a beam, or the location of some holes are changed in modelspace the ASSOCIATED dimensions will reflect those changes in real time in your paperspace layout.

If there are NEW elements, holes or details added you will need to make sure you document those, in the same way as previously described.

Dimensioning in modelspace would be done in the same way, just in a different location.

All of these ASSOCIATIVE dimensions and dimension text will display correctly in your paperspace, as well as in your modelspace,

because their display is driven by the text height and other settings which are spelled out in the definition of the DIMSTYLE.

BE SURE TO CHECK in your OPTIONS > USER PREFERENCES, that the box MAKE NEW DIMENSIONS ASSOCIATIVE is checked.

There are two schools of thought on where text, dimensions & drawing sheets should be placed.

The company for which, or with whom you are working likely has standards to which you may be expected to comply.

If not, or you are working for yourself, or are the one making such calls, then do it how you feel it works best for the

kind of work which you usually do. Try it both ways first, make an informed decision. :)

ANNOTATIVE dimensions are a whole different animal, and I defer to other forum members better informed than I, on their best use, set up and practices.

Edited by Dadgad

Yep, something you absolutely HAVE to make certain of in your DimStyle: Every setting needs to be set as if your dimensions will be drawn for 1:1 scale. Only your OverAll scale might differ, though even this I'd advise against (either let to "Scale to Viewport Scale, or have it set as Annotative).

This includes the text style you use, though here's another extra point: The text style itself needs to be non-annotative (even if your dimstyle is annotative) and have a default height= 0.0. The last is VERY important, otherwise the Dim cannot scale its text to the height it wants to display.

No, you're misunderstanding. You need to set the Text Style's default height=0, not the DimStyle's text height.

E.g. on the DimStyle dialog's text tab, click the [...] button next to the text style.

capture_07252012_165719.png

That should open the Text Style dialog. In this the Height needs to be = 0.

capture_07252012_165739.png

Then you might have to change the DimStyle's text to and from a different font, just to have the dialog update properly. Then the height should be editable in there.