purging unused layers in AutoCAD 2013 Mac

nancysb

FILEDIA is a system variable that controls the input solution (that it, dialog box vs. command line) for commands that require browse for files (i.e. OPEN, SAVE). So, had nothing to do with layers management.

A layer cannot be removed if contains entities inside - even entities in block definitions. You cannot also remove system layers (i.e. 0, Defpoints) or the current one.

One solution to check for what is still stored in said layer is to call QSELECT command and define a criteria for search based on trouble-maker layer's name - although this will not return nested objects.

On AutoCAD for Windows there is the LAYDEL command, part of Express extension, which will allow one to remove layers with content. Not sure if available on Mac; anyway, must be used with extreme care!

Please do not double your threads, it will just divide the discussion.

Thank you for your suggestions and warnings. I will try all of what you suggested, and make sure that I don't "double dip" with my questions! (still not very knowledgable about this world.....)