Disabling zoom undo?

Guest Machineheart

Guest Machineheart

Would anyone happen to know wheather it is possible to exclude zooming from the UNDO function? Going through undos is mostly pretty annoying "back-worth"-jumping, when working with a scroll mouse... :huh:

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm currently using AutoCAD LT 2000i. And upgrading to LT 2005 in very near future.

Any advice on either is greatly appriciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately there is no way to exclude zoom and pan commands from "undo," even when they're executed with the scroll wheel. It's been on the wishlist for many years -- maybe one of these days we'll get lucky.

• 1 year later...

This was posted a while ago. I was going to ask the same question about the new 2007. Has it been made an option?

I used Datacad for about a hear and a half and the undu command never considered pan or zoom. I kind of got used to it...

Not that I am complaining, I am happy to be back in the land of the living. I even get to use Revit now. Woo hoo.

Thanks for the fast reply Styk however that just combines the zoom and pan in undo/redo, it does not exclude pan and zoom from undo/redo.

Yeah it is weird how easily one gets used to something. It can be much faster although you sometimes undo something too far if you don't see it. But you can pan around in the command and undo to your hearts content... maybe for the 2008 wishlist???

• 3 months later...

I read previous posts regarding that "zooming" should not be included in the undo/redo. I totally agree. Coming out of Microstation (albeit an old version) I was totally used to undo/redo not including zoom commands. It's totally confusing and counter-productive and a waste of time to have zooming be included in the undo list. Lots of time I need to undo a couple of steps, then zoom in to see what happened, then I want to be able to redo and whamo my history is screwed. Can't understand why autodesk prefers it this way, seems like they've had plenty of people complaining about it for years.

Anybody have a work-around?????

Dave

Nope, no workaround. It's been that way for as long as I have been using Autocad and I don't think they plan on changing it.

The only thing you can do is go into your Options on the "User Preferences" tab in the "Undo/Redo" section and check the option to "Combine zoom and pan commands". This will cause your zoom and pan commands to be combined into one Undo. So if you initiate a command, pan and zoom around 20 times and then initiate another command, you only have to hit Undo twice to get back to the first command.

O.K., I'll settle with the notion that Autodesk will just plain NOT change the scenario whereby ZOOM and PAN are considered in the history for UNDO and REDO. You can't fight City Hall I guess... And, yes, I did turn on that grouping idea in the options. I guess that saves a little frustration, but the idea still chafes my hide.....

Can someone please enlighten me as to why it remains this way and why they won't change it. Perhaps I need to change my way of thinking here.

Thanks.

Dave N

We have recently changed over to Auto-Cad LT 2007 (from a non Autodesk cad package) and one of the first things we all said was "Why does it undo zooms!?"

Maybe if we get a poll going (I'm not sure how to yet!) then we might have Autodesk included a variable for undo zoom/pan or not undo zoom/pan in the future releases.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with all that's been said above- AutoCad seems to be the only programme in the world that lumps view controls and commands together - even simple programmes like Word manage to tell the difference.

I guess this is just one of the many archaic quirks of autocad that needs to be dealt with- why is it they can tweak little things with each new release but never fix the biggies like this?

There seems to be little point in having an undo button if you can't then look at what you might have done to check for mistakes.

In an ideal world I wouldn't use the thing- to me it's a tangled mess of a programme that creates more tangles when you try and use it in tandem with other applications. SIGH!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

anyone found a solution to this? i use "undo" "mark" and "undo" "back" as part of my error trapping in LISP - and would like to temporarily disable the zoom undo-ing during this process.

Cheers.

• 7 years later...

Has anyone found a solution to the Undo without GD zoom! really annoying when cad starts to slow down at the end of the day but there should absolutely be a variable to toggle between on and off! any comments ... answers preferably .

Thanks in advance.

AutoCAD slowing down at the end of a day is a different issue and not related.

Changing the view is considered a command. It is probably an essential part of the programming that would cause major issues if it were deactivated. Unless you can find a programmer that can explain why, you may never get an answer.

I don't have much experience with graphics programming, but I do have 25 years experience writing computer code for other purposes.   Programming has to be approached with logic and the same logic works for all of it.   Here is my educated guess as to why this wish list item will never happen.

Undo is simplistically a restore from the most recent backup screen image.  The list of backups is processed in a straight line from one to the other in the order of their original occurrence, including zoom and pan.

One changes something, and then zooms.  One wants to undo that change before the zoom without undoing the zoom.  Unfortunately there is no "backup" of the screen at the current zoom level without that change because the change never existed at the current zoom level.  There is nothing to restore.

Another of my theories on it is that it is FM and cannot be messed with by mere mortals.

Edited by Dana W

• 9 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 8:26 PM, Dana W said:

I don't have much experience with graphics programming, but I do have 25 years experience writing computer code for other purposes.   Programming has to be approached with logic and the same logic works for all of it.   Here is my educated guess as to why this wish list item will never happen.

Undo is simplistically a restore from the most recent backup screen image.  The list of backups is processed in a straight line from one to the other in the order of their original occurrence, including zoom and pan.

One changes something, and then zooms.  One wants to undo that change before the zoom without undoing the zoom.  Unfortunately there is no "backup" of the screen at the current zoom level without that change because the change never existed at the current zoom level.  There is nothing to restore.

Another of my theories on it is that it is FM and cannot be messed with by mere mortals.

The only thing is that autocad is the only program i know, that incorporates zoom and pan actions in there undo's.
I'm used to work with a lot of programs incl. Revit (from autodesk) (Tekla, Revit, Sketchup, blender, Rhino, Adobe (Indesign, photoshop, illustrator...) MS office) and none of them behave like this with there undo (Ctrl Z) or redo (Ctrl+Shift Z or Ctrl Y).
At my new job I'm now working with autocad 2020 ( it already feels like i'm back to the stone-age) and this 'feature' drives me crazy.
A lot of times I undo (more than one) actions, because it rebuilds the screen a lot of times and i have now idea what has been redone already or not (also because it takes to long to rebuild the views, p.s. i'm on a fast pretty new computer).

Edited by Erick