I can't add image in signature

rkent

I can't add an image in my signature. So how do I get permission to add an image to mine?

Thanks.

We took the decision some time ago not to allow images in signatures. We felt that on many forums, such images distract from the flow of a thread and that as this forum is about information rather than personality, we should not allow this and that the ability to use custom avatars was a reasonable compensation.

We took the decision some time ago not to allow images in signatures. We felt that on many forums, such images distract from the flow of a thread and that as this forum is about information rather than personality, we should not allow this and that the ability to use custom avatars was a reasonable compensation.

Good decision imo :thumbsup: -- I've seen other forums where animated GIFs are allowed in sigs, and its so hard to follow the posts when all these images are moving around below them

Thanks for the info. I also frequent AUGI NG's and just got confused on where I had noticed the images in a signature. I am also against the animated gifs, just wanted to have a static image.

Images in signatures is tacky. CAD is a professional industry, that shouldn't be tarnished with bright lights, flashing images or 'New Wave' graphics.

Actually, a small static banner no bigger than maybe the normal four lines of text isn't too distracting, but enforcing sizes and images for those can be a bit of a headache from a modding point of view

I really don't think it has anything to add to this site either. The site I used which had static banners was a rescue one, where those banners were of use to advertise the rescue centres or awareness campaigns of those using it

If we were to introduce banner signatures, I'd suggest that this be by arrangement with CADTutor himself and only available as paid for official advertising space :wink:

If we were to introduce banner signatures, I'd suggest that this be by arrangement with CADTutor himself and only available as paid for official advertising space :wink:

That might actually be a good way to make money for the site... :thumbsup:

Just as long as the advertising stays "on topic" if you know what I mean... o:)

Just as long as the advertising stays "on topic" if you know what I mean... o:)

:o Hence the requirement for it to be 'by arrangement' with David :wink:

I don't think most of the 'debatable' advertisers would be willing to fork out for their advertising though, and it'd require some effort in posting to spread said sig about somewhat

Possibly, but most advertisers won't want to hang around the forums posting in order to place their ads. Also, administering such a system could be time-consuming. It's an idea I'll bear in mind but I don't see a need for it at this stage.

• 7 months later...

You should have read this when you signed up: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9177

Forum Newbies have restricted privileges. This is mainly to combat spammers but it also acts as a further incentive for members to contribute to the forum. Members will gain full privileges when they become a Junior Member. In order to become a Junior Member, you must have a post count of 10 but remember that posts made in the "Community" area of the forum do not count towards your post count.

Forum Newbies have the following restrictions:

1. No access to the Private Messaging system.

2. Cannot add signatures to posts.

3. Cannot use custom avatars (although the library avatars may be used).

4. Cannot add links to their posts.

Once a member has made 10 posts, all of these restrictions are lifted.

• 2 months later...
Good decision imo :thumbsup: -- I've seen other forums where animated GIFs are allowed in sigs, and its so hard to follow the posts when all these images are moving around below them

I had some customers at a Big Three OEM when at my past job. One had one of their off-road vehicles driving across the bottom, and it literally made my head hurt to read his emails. If they were in a small window, just back and forth constantly... it was horrible. Another one had an enlarged screaming smiley that was pulling his hair out. I couldn't believe it when I started working with them as a customer. It just seemed so unprofessional.

So, yeah, IMO, I am definitely against any kind of flashy signature.