How to distort in AutoCAD 2002?

huygen

Can anyone tell me if AutoCAD has any "distort" command like Adobe Illustrator?

For Example, I would like to align the boundary box of the above circle into the below box.

The final result is looks like the one in distort2.png atached image.

distort.PNG

distort2.PNG

AutoCAD has a STRETCH command, of which I am sure you are aware, but there is no DISTORT-like command unless you consider creating a block then inserting it with a different scale for X, Y or Z scale.

Hi ReMark,

When I type the STRECTH command in the command box and then try selecting both the circle and the box one-by-one, I get the following message:

> You must select a crossing-window or -polygon to stretch.

Can you tell me what should I do next?

Thanks

It means exactly what it says: to select the object for the Stretch command click at right to the extremity to be selected and move the mouse to left so that the selection rectangle includes the desired part.

There is a tutorial on the main page about selecting objects.

I do not think you can stretch a circle.

Can anyone tell me if AutoCAD has any "distort" command like Adobe Illustrator?

For Example, I would like to align the boundary box of the above circle into the below box.

The final result is looks like the one in distort2.png atached image.

This "freeform" functionality does not exist in AutoCAD the way Illustrator lets you. Sorry. :*

• 13 years later...

14 years later, I’m having this same problem! It’s understandable that they wouldn’t have this feature because it’s more of a graphic design use—which is mine, I just love AutoCAD. But alas, I cannot be stopped:

It’s a bit tedious and possibly rough around the edges but I figured out that I could draw a CV spline to match a single quadrant/90° arc of the circle (utilizing the two midpoints around a corner vertex of the circumscribed square); it’ll look way off at first but what you have to do is edit the spline and decrease the weight* of the middle corner vertex so that it seems to trace the arc of the circle—it won’t be exact but the difference is imperceptible; once you have this corner weight you can distort your square and then your “arcs” (copy/mirror them 3x all around) by reattaching the spline vertices to the respective points of your new quadrilateral. Again, joining these quadrants won’t work for this method because it’ll alter the weight distribution as it becomes a single CV spline; if you must, group them instead.

*My corner weight was 0.7071. I’m not 100% sure that’s the universal number but I invite you to plug it right in and let me know how it works!… I found that a weight of 2 on just one of the outer vertices gives an even closer arc but I imagine the asymmetry could become problematic if there’s more work to be done.

ECC85B4E-35FE-4D83-8BF2-83EE0402CBE7.jpeg

Edited by sol ex
Added an image of what I did, it’s possible my goal was just simple enough but I’m confident it’d work in any case using these inscribed quadrants.

You are correct that a NURBS will define an exact 1/4 arc if the weights of the first and third CV = 1, and the second CV weight = sqrt(2)/2 = 0.7071.  Since only three CVs are used the spline is degree 2 (like a circle).

To create a full circle make 4 "spline-arcs" and then join them together.  You can then move the CVs to the corners and midpoints of the "distortion" quadrilateral. 

image.thumb.png.288eea5ea7038b9117de125fca51d611.png