Revit/MEP

sparkyuk

Silly question but is Revit an extension of MEP or is it a combined program with both Revit/MEP installed at same time ?

The reason I'm asking is that I already have autocad 2008 and was wondering if it can be added or not, cant seem to find that out on autocads site, Im quessing that you need MEP to be able to use Revit :oops:

Products available from AutoDesk include:

AutoCAD MEP

AutoCAD Revit MEP Suite

AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite

AutoCAD Revit Architecture Visualization Suite

Looks like you can have any flavour you want.

cheers Remark I did see that, but what i was asking was "can revit be installed with autocad 2008", or do I have to get the boss to buy one of those on the list to be able use revit ?

AutoDesk Revit software can be used alone or together with AutoCAD. I believe that the two "suites" mentioned above include the latest version of AutoCAD.

my understanding is that 'revit' is just like 'MEP' only different, meaning they are "stand alone" package's incorporated into autocad. Not compatible mind you but stand up on their own. In other words I had to evaluate each and choose one or the other. It is not an 'add-on'. Price is pretty close too.

Revit MEP is a suite. its the only way it comes. You get the following:

• AutoCAD
  • AutoCAD MEP
  • AutoCAD Architecture (profile + tools)
  • Revit MEP

Each program is a separate program that runs independently of each other. Obviously the AutoCAD Addon's are simply the vertical installment of each trade, but you still get plain jane AutoCAD as well. I switch between them all the time when the job requires it. :)

Revit MEP is a suite. its the only way it comes. You get the following:

• AutoCAD
  • AutoCAD MEP
  • AutoCAD Architecture (profile + tools)
  • Revit MEP

Each program is a separate program that runs independently of each other. Obviously the AutoCAD Addon's are simply the vertical installment of each trade, but you still get plain jane AutoCAD as well. I switch between them all the time when the job requires it. :)

do you have any issues using sheet sets between the 2?

Thanks guys looks like its not a simple matter of using this or that, will wait on more feed back

Update

I have managed to get a 30 day trial from a company in the UK so should have it installed in the next few days, they taking around £4500 to £5000 for the software anyone found it cheaper in the Uk please ?,

And is revit mep that much better then the normal autocad MEP ? as I would have thought it would be alot cheaper option ?

Update

I have managed to get a 30 day trial from a company in the UK so should have it installed in the next few days, they taking around £4500 to £5000 for the software anyone found it cheaper in the Uk please ?,

And is revit mep that much better then the normal autocad MEP ? as I would have thought it would be alot cheaper option ?

Okay, first off Revit MEP cannot possibly be better than AutoCAD MEP, because they are two completely different programs. They work different in every way. Please do not confuse the Revit platform as a "better AutoCAD" because it is not. It is a very specific tool in use for BIM construction files.

AutoCAD MEP works like plain jane AutoCAD, for the most part. Revit MEP does not. Its not even worth using unless you have an architectural file made in Revit. That's one reason why Revit comes packaged with AutoCAD as a suite. :)

as StykFacE says, dont confuse Revit with Autocad buffed up.

it is a completely different program.

£4000k+ is the usual for the software, which is good value considering you will get Revit, Autocad and Autocad Architecture.

Looks like I should have been looking at autocad mep rather then revit then stykface, from what you just said revit isnt the version for me, so what you are saying is I need an architectural file made in Revit to be able to add anything then it isnt the one for me thats for sure.

Thanks for you help m8

Looks like I should have been looking at autocad mep rather then revit then stykface, from what you just said revit isnt the version for me, so what you are saying is I need an architectural file made in Revit to be able to add anything then it isnt the one for me thats for sure.

Thanks for you help m8

You can definitely create a mechanical plan using Revit and linking a 2D architectural *.dwg file. Its all possible. Its just that you will not be getting any real benefit by using Revit. AutoCAD MEP still works like AutoCAD in most respect, so learning it will be more natural than Revit.

Granted, AutoCAD MEP has one helluva learning curve still... haha. :wink:

got revit 2009 demo up and running well if you can call it running its so slow on this thing, im going to have to get a lot better computer then i have now to use this, thats for sure and im begining to think mep is the way to go, this seems way above my limited abilty thats for sure, and also even although it was installed as a uk version its still uses american terms within the prog that we british electricains dont use, they need to attend to this quess they dont think it matters lol

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't have Lisp, and I don't remember the code used for customization whether its .NET or not. It has a project navigator and is structured pretty well. Remember, Revit works entirely different than AutoCAD MEP. :)