collision detection

RONIN

Greetings from the West Coast!

I recently installed AutoCAD MEP 2010 and have just noticed that when I model 3D piping, my collision detection doesn't seem to be working. Normally, I would see red dashed lines where ever I had a collision imediatly after drawing a pipe. However, when I do this now, only a grey dashed line appears. When I type "collisiondetection" in the comand line, I made sure it was "On" then I made sure the Color was "Red". I Regened the drawing but my collisions were still shown in Grey, I also tried closing CAD, still no change.

I can still run interferencedetection, but this is pain to have to do everytime.

Can someone please help?

Much appreciated...

We havre the same issue going on, I have contacted our re-seller, Microdesk, about this and they are "looking into it" but I'm not holding my breath. As I understand it Autodesk has gone from "real time (collision detection)" to to the interference detection. Interference detection is a pain to use and will hang our computers and only shows collision when you run it, not as you are drawing it. Hey Autodesk.....If it ain't broke don't fix it! There are plenty of broken things you could be working on!

• 3 weeks later...

man, i hope they are not phasing this out!!!!!!!!!! That would be like retarded on their part. One would figure that finding issues before you run interference detection would only help their software run better.

One would figure that finding issues before you run interference detection would only help their software run better.

One would think so!! But, as we all know, with Autodesk anything is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

No, this wasn't intentional and we're looking into restoring the functionality. In the 2010 release, we switched over to a different solids modeling engine (went from Amodeler to ASM). During the switch, the collision detection no longer worked as expected.

Since Autodesk is a publicly-traded company, we are prohibited by federal law from stating when things like this may be resolved as they could affect future purchase decisions and stock price. However, I can say we are looking to resolve this as soon as possible.

Hope that helps,

Toby Smith, PE, LEED AP

AutoCAD MEP Product Manager

No, this wasn't intentional and we're looking into restoring the functionality. In the 2010 release, we switched over to a different solids modeling engine (went from Amodeler to ASM). During the switch, the collision detection no longer worked as expected.

Since Autodesk is a publicly-traded company, we are prohibited by federal law from stating when things like this may be resolved as they could affect future purchase decisions and stock price. However, I can say we are looking to resolve this as soon as possible.

Hope that helps,

Toby Smith, PE, LEED AP

That is GREAT news! Now can you work on a duct on edge problem you guys have? When duct is on edge 6x12 rather than 12x6 the elevation does not correctly annotate. While I am at it how about an easy way to make an offsetting eccentric transition, let's say 34x12 to 24x12 3" set to the right. You would really make my day if I could make a transition offset in ...two :shock: directions! Don't get me wrong I love your program, but it does not adapt to the real world in some situations like coordination in extremely tight areas when we have to wring out every last inch of space. I know our shop can build the fittings but I can't show the mechanics in the field what is needed.

By the way welcome to the CAD Tutor forums! I am glad you finally ventured out of the Autodesk discussion groups. Your insight will be welcomed and appreciated.

Wow, it's almost like you're reading my mind! Both items you mention are also high on the list and we're looking into what we can do to meet user's needs and expectations. No guarantees of course but we understand the issues.

There are a lot of of good things in the works, we just can't always get to things as quickly as we'd like. Glad to hear you like the program, I think it's pretty good too.

My job is to make sure the product meets the needs of our users and I'm always happy to get feedback on ways to make the product better. It's my job to provide the tools you all need to get your projects done more quickly and efficiently. If my product is hindering your progress, then I'm not happy and will do what I can to resolve the issues.

Cheers,

Toby Smith, PE, LEED AP

I have submitted both of those items numerous times to Microdesk for assistance and they have in turn submitted them to Autodesk I'm told. By the way what is up with all the 3x3 duct and fittings? Who out there actually puts in 3x3 duct? I know you guys had to draw the line some where, but come on, 3x3!?! While I'm at it and you are listening how about a simple check box for the ribbon or classic. If you read these forums or the Autodesk discussions there is a lot of negative feedback to the ribbon. I'm sure you also get a lot of positive ffedback that we don't hear about. It would be nice to have an easy way to select our personal prefrences. Parametric parts for louvers would also be a good thing! Keep up the good work and keep listening. Thanks

By the way what is up with all the 3x3 duct and fittings? Who out there actually puts in 3x3 duct? I know you guys had to draw the line some where, but come on, 3x3!?!

I edited those pesky "non standard" sizes out of my catalog. lol :)

• 3 months later...