Local Fire Company Engine

CADken

Thanks for the fender information, CADken, just thinking if I can do something similar on my motorhome (RV)! A great solution to storage issues. Regards Rob.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADken

• perry

• f700es

• Ritch7

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the fender information, CADken, just thinking if I can do something similar on my motorhome (RV)! A great solution to storage issues. Regards Rob.

what a novel idea!

here's some pictures for reference (the front bumper and general Fire Apparatus in America)

http://www.seagrave.com/welcome.cfm

• 1 year later...

Heya CADken im trying to model a uk fire engine (scania p270) but I want to get it looking really good like yours I plan to do the cab with smooth edges but I dont no how any help or advice would be great :D

Heya CADken im trying to model a uk fire engine (scania p270) but I want to get it looking really good like yours I plan to do the cab with smooth edges but I dont no how any help or advice would be great :D

Do you have any pictures?

I've been in and out of the forums so I apologize if I don't get to you right away...

I model everything in SketchUp, then export the model into Kerkythea.. Kerkythea pretty much smooths things out for ya...

here's the latest model I've been working on:

4148_1081800962606_1153797435_30212202_7349733_n.jpg

Good ol' british fire engines huh! :lol:

That is a serious peice of work there man, very clever! :ouch:

This was all done in sketch up then!? :? I am seriously thinking about using this as my preimier 3D modeling software if it was!:cute:

Z

Thans for the reply heres a couple of pics wich i found on the net

WOW, I can see what you mean about curves and such... that would be an interesting task to take on designing one of those in SU that's for sure.

If you can have a local department send you blueprints of their apparatus that would be even better... Seagrave - one of America's finest Fire Apparatus Manufactures has PDFs of every piece of equipment they have ever made... all within reason. These blueprints are great for modeling.

Good ol' british fire engines huh! :lol:

That is a serious peice of work there man, very clever! :ouch:

This was all done in sketch up then!? :? I am seriously thinking about using this as my preimier 3D modeling software if it was!:cute:

Z

Z - if you are referring to the model I recently posted; yes that was created in SU (rendered in Kerkythea). I just so happen to be a firefighter with the department of that orange "Truck" up there, so I have access to all of our apparatus blueprints from the manufacturers... which is an extreme benefit.

SketchUp is an amazing program.

That´s some serious modeling. Don´t know how you do it Cadken, everytime i try to do some more complex modeling, SU gives up on me. Doesn´t SU start to slowdown on you with so much detail?

I found something wich may help me alot but I cant view the files because they are .dxf Ive never heard of this file type anyone no anything about this?

That´s some serious modeling. Don´t know how you do it Cadken, everytime i try to do some more complex modeling, SU gives up on me. Doesn´t SU start to slowdown on you with so much detail?

I create every part in it's own file, like the cab, front end, rear sections, tires, etc. then I import them into one master file... create half of the model, then "copy", "past in place" and essentially mirror the half to create the full size model you see...

and yes, making little correction on such a large file does get a bit slow... it helps to turn off the color and textures so that way SU isn't trying to regen everytime you move.

I create every part in it's own file, like the cab, front end, rear sections, tires, etc. then I import them into one master file... create half of the model, then "copy", "past in place" and essentially mirror the half to create the full size model you see...

and yes, making little correction on such a large file does get a bit slow... it helps to turn off the color and textures so that way SU isn't trying to regen everytime you move.

thanks for the tip:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

haha I like it CADken, Im still struguling with the fire engine I left alone for a while I found something what I imagine will help me alot with the cab (look at picture) but its not in scale any idea how to make it all to scale?

scania-300-500-series-cp28-31-crewc.jpg

cheers Perry