Hp / Autocad Plotting

cadmench

Does anyone know where I can get literature that will help me set up plotting for a HP 5000 GN plotter. We have had this plotter since before hurricane Katrina. I am currently the only one using it and I am having problems. We have updated my computer to Acad 2008 & Windows Vista software) so none of the old settings work. Is there any literature available for these old obsolete plotters. It is still a workhorse and I don't want to get rid of it. The original literature does not cover Acad setup

do you have the printer setup correctly? Vista is tricky.

Unless Vista has the necessary drivers, the Add Printer wizard in Vista

insists on retrieving the driver for a network printer from the computer to

which the printer is connected. Since you can’t install the Vista driver on a

WinXP computer, that means that Vista fails to connect to the network printer.

You need to fool Vista into thinking that the network printer is actually a

local one, so that you can install the driver directly on your Vista computer.

Download the Vista printer driver and install it on the Vista computer.

You’ll be prompted to connect the printer to your computer. Choose the option

to proceed with the installation WITHOUT connecting the printer.

Once installed, open Printers in Control Panel, right-click on the printer

and choose Properties. Go to the Ports Tab, click Add Port…, select Local

Port, then click New Port…

For the Port Name enter exactly the network path and share name of your

printer, click OK, and double-check that this new port is selected with the

checkbox next to it. Click OK to close the printer properties.

You should be able to set up how the plotter prints right in CAD, once the plotter is successfully installed and such, it all should go from there...

Whenever you're having a problem with a printer or a plotter the first thing I always recommend is to go straight to the source. In this case we are talking the HP website.

In this case, a search of their website brought up the fact that there is a universal print driver for Windows (PCL5, PCL6 and Postscript - these are three different drivers) all of which are version 4.1 and have a date of 30 Jul 2007. You just need to download the appropriate one. There is additional information to be had at the HP website and a forum to post questions. Perhaps another user has had a similar problem.

Failing to get an answer there I would then turn to a site like Smartcomputing.com where any number of computer geeks hang out.

Finally, I would come here, where many an AutoCAD geek congregates.

Good luck in your troubleshooting. Let us know how things turn out.

Finally, I would come here, where many an AutoCAD geek congregates.

Good luck in your troubleshooting. Let us know how things turn out.

Is that what we do?

/Petri

Though I'm not one yet am I? Look at your posts Step' And anywhoo, I'd kind of like the title? Who knows, someone in the know could be looking in?

/Me

• 4 months later...

I have an HP DesignJet 500 that the drivers do not work with Autocad 2009. Talked to HP and they respond that it is an AUTODESK problem. Talked to AUTODESK and they respond that they are waiting for a path to correct the problem Question, when?????

I tried other downloads and know work. I also have an HP DesinJet 4500 MFP and I have know problems with plotting on it with Autocad 2009.

Anyone know a download driver that will work?

Coincidence?

Here I am trying out AC 2009 for the first time when I read your post. It just so happens we have a HP DesignJet 500 as well. So, I just tried a "test" plot, nothing fancy, just a 18x24 piping schematic. I had no problem getting a plot.

At what point in the plotting sequence does the process break down?

By the way, you should have posted this as a new thread. Tacking it onto a thread started in February regarding a HP 5000 GN could cause confusion. Just a suggestion.

Coincidence?

Here I am trying out AC 2009 for the first time when I read your post. It just so happens we have a HP DesignJet 500 as well. So, I just tried a "test" plot, nothing fancy, just a 18x24 piping schematic. I had no problem getting a plot.

At what point in the plotting sequence does the process break down?

By the way, you should have posted this as a new thread. Tacking it onto a thread started in February regarding a HP 5000 GN could cause confusion. Just a suggestion.

Looking for HP DesignJet 500 Drivers that will work. I've tried over 4 downloads and can't get one to work.

I'll send a plot to unit, plotter shows processing and then stops. No plot.

Try this. At the Plot dialog box, click on the Properties button to the right of the Printer/Plotter Name. This should bring up the Plotter Configuration Editor dialog box.

In the area labeled Access Custom Dialog click on the Custom Properties button. At the next dialog box click on the Color tab. Check off Monochrome Graphics in the Color Options area of the dialog box. Click the OK button at the bottom of this dialog box.

Next, click the OK button at the bottom of the subsequent dialog box. When the Changes to a Printer Configuration File window appears, accept the default choice that reads "Create a temporary PC3 file...

Finally, set any remain plot parameters. When finished click on Preview just to double check then go ahead and click the OK button back in the dialog box to begin the plotting process.

Keep fingers crossed.

And the result was...................................................?

Let us know how things turned out. We'll keep our fingers crossed too. Good luck.

Try this. At the Plot dialog box, click on the Properties button to the right of the Printer/Plotter Name. This should bring up the Plotter Configuration Editor dialog box.

In the area labeled Access Custom Dialog click on the Custom Properties button. At the next dialog box click on the Color tab. Check off Monochrome Graphics in the Color Options area of the dialog box. Click the OK button at the bottom of this dialog box.

Next, click the OK button at the bottom of the subsequent dialog box. When the Changes to a Printer Configuration File window appears, accept the default choice that reads "Create a temporary PC3 file...

Finally, set any remain plot parameters. When finished click on Preview just to double check then go ahead and click the OK button back in the dialog box to begin the plotting process.

Keep fingers crossed.

And the result was...................................................?

Let us know how things turned out. We'll keep our fingers crossed too. Good luck.

Tried it but it did not work. Called Autodesk and they said there working on the problem and hope to have a patch to correct this issue. I also called HP and they are aware of this problem and said it was an Autodesk problem.:cry:

Well my suggestion was based upon a similar problem I experienced in AC 2007 after downloading the "new and improved" HP drivers. I sent a plot over to the DJ 500 and it wouldn't even register in the display on the plotter. AutoCAD reported that it had plotted with no errors. Funny, I don't see a real plot though. After tinkering with Plot Manager I found if I just went into Custom Properties and changed one thing and saved it then the drawing would plot. Not exactly what I wanted to do with every plot but it beat sitting there with a plot to show for all my effort. Sorry to hear you are still having problems.

• 1 month later...