Scale on one axis only

TonyMS

I want to scale a polyline representation of a foil along one axis only, so that it becomes longer and thinner. Is there a way to do this, please?

Tony MS

scale one axis only, so that it becomes longer and thinner.

That sounds like two axis to me. First to get longer and second to get thinner. In other words a non-proportional scale on x & y. If that is the true design intent then make a block of the geometry and then insert block. The dialog box will give you options for a different scale for x & y.

Scale.jpg

• 7 months later...

I had been trying for years to figure this out and just stumbled across it today. I also noticed that you have to uncheck the "Explode" box. I guess people who use blocks more often that I do have discovered this on their own. When I was using Generic CAD years ago, the scale command allowed you to scale X and Y axis separately, and I never understood why they took that option out.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Mr JS Mather, this is good, but it cannot be explode after I just scale down the Y axis (I do the section drawing), and how to explode the block and make it as real lines in Acad drawing?

As long as a block inserted with different scale factors on axis don't contains 3D solid entities, it should be exploded without problems. I suspect that you un-checked the Allow exploding option when created the block.

but it cannot be explode after I just scale down the Y axis
are you sure you are using 2010? You have been able to explode non uniform blocks for a very long time. Make sure you have allowed exploding when you create the block (although I think that can be changed in properties if you have).

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread, something for the googlers...

One option for non-uniform scale of 3DSOLID - convert 3DSOLID to MESH using CONVTOMESH, then block the MESH.  Scale to whatever, explode the block, convert MESH back to 3DSOLID with CONVTOSOLID.

You with lose some geometry smoothness when converting to mesh.