Dynamically using Schedule Tags and Schedules

tzframpton

I was wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction with using Schedules. Using AutoCAD MEP 2008 and I want to link my Schedule Tags to a Schedule. I believe AutoCAD MEP has this option, correct? Just wanted to be pointed in the right direction with some things to read up on over the internet, or if anyone has posted anything here either. Also, anything in the help file that anyone can help me search for would be great too. Thanks in advance. 8)

MEP does have the option. Though I'm a little bit confused as to what extent you want to link them I always thought that Schedule tags are automatically atttached to your schedules. However, If you insert a schedule into your drawing, then rc to bring up the rc menu, there will be a option on there in order modify current schedule. There is then options to add columns or formulas to your schedul, basically make it into what ever you want.

If I've completely missed the point, sorry. If not, cool. I have spent a while customising my own schedules for work purposes, there is an awful lot you can do with them.

Jacko.

This is what I'm trying to accomplish. Our startup guys in the field adjust the VAV/FPB's to a certain CFM, not to mention all the diffusers. I want to generate a schedule that pulls the Box Size, CFM, and Grille CFM into a schedule so they can reference it when balancing the equipment out in the field. Hope it makes sense. So do you think I can accomplish what I want?

The beauty of the schedules are that if the information is in the part, then it can be extracted. What can be quite a long winded process is adding or altering additional information you have attached to the parts if it is not already there. I'm quite busy at the moment, but I will try to take some time out to put together something visual that will hopefully help you, in some part, to help yourself, if you get me.

Right, I have tried to put something together. I hope it helps. I had to rush it a bit, so it may seem a bit 'broken up'. However, I will be around to answer any problems you may come across. Sometimes I can be better at answering direct questions rather than putting together sequences.

Ah, I am having trouble uploading this file. Too large apparently, 676k. Could anybody inform me if there is another way to get this file to Styk?

Regards,

Chris.

Okay, that information was excellent. I have but one more question to see if maybe you know already, if not I'll see if I can't figure it out on my own.

Lets say I have 95 Diffusers scattered around my drawing. The schedule made counts them from SD-1 to SD-95, all having their own row of data. I was wondering if there's a way to compact all 95 Diffusers into one row, with a Quantity column that shows 95 for the total number of grilles in the drawing. Possible you think? Thanks again Christ for all the help. This is wonderful stuff to be learning. :)

I might have figured it out, hang on a minute....

*EDIT* Found it. Just added the "MarkAbbreviation" instead of "Mark" Property Set. Works great. :)

Okay, that information was excellent. I have but one more question to see if maybe you know already, if not I'll see if I can't figure it out on my own.

Lets say I have 95 Diffusers scattered around my drawing. The schedule made counts them from SD-1 to SD-95, all having their own row of data. I was wondering if there's a way to compact all 95 Diffusers into one row, with a Quantity column that shows 95 for the total number of grilles in the drawing. Possible you think? Thanks again Christ for all the help. This is wonderful stuff to be learning. :)

The info might of been ok, but thinking of me as Christ is a bit strong.:lol:

• 7 months later...

Thinking out loud:

I am going through some of these posts to find some answers and this may just have helped me with one of my problem - So are you saying that SD-1 through 95 are all the same grille? When we tag our grilles here we tag all the similar ones SD-1 and I have been fighting to figure out how to get a quantity in there and not have the schedule pick up every SD-1 that we put into the drawing when it scans the xref, but also be able to use smart tags in the drawing itself.

We ended up using dummy tags in the drawings and then on the schedule view using the dummy parts with smart tags - the difference being there was only one of each Grille versus the 50 or so per floor all showing up in the schedule.

Rereading my post though I seem to run into a problem. If I use the dummy tags I can keep them in the naming convention my company uses (all similar grilles iwth the same tag) whereas if I use the smart tags I would have to force each one to be the same number - which would still be tedious - however if I could use smart tags, that would be OK as long as I could make it clear on the schedule that SD-1 through SD-95 are all the same grille.

So I guess my question is - Are SD-1 through SD-95 the same grille and if so, what does your grille schedule end up looking like?

I'm not entirely sure what you have just wrote, but I will try to answer what I think you mean.......

As a company, we usually reference every grille seperately, due to the differing flow rates throughout the building, however, you can modify the schedule to show whatever information you want, and collate it in any way you wish. So if you just wanted to show all grilles of one type in one line with a quantity, you can just remove the reference from the table and it will ignore that info when sorting them out. Depending on how you use that information then is up to you, you could export it to excel and then add in the other information such as grille reference afterwards.

I believe there is also a way in which you can state how the program numbers items, in what sequence and what step rate, if so, maybe you could tie it down to a single number, which would mean that your tags would read correctly and the schedule would show it automatically.