Need help making a light effect

herdy1212

hi guys

Looking for some help to make my signage have ab illumination effect.

the wording "TEXT HERE" im needing to illuminate.

So far i have added a blue, self illuminating material and this is how it has come out.

what can i do to make it look like it is lit up.

this is still a work in progress, its not quite finished yet!

CadForum.jpg

I moved your thread to 3DS max forum, Showcase really is jus for showing off. If it's not 3Dstudio max you're using, say something and I'll move it accordingly.

Try inserting an omni light, and switch it off (this will turn off Max's default lighting). Then switch on Final Gathering (if I remember rightly.

hi guys thx for the replies,

Cad64- by turning the lights down to make the glow stand out more effectively wouldnt i lose the overall brightness of the scene and become too dark? if so whats the best way to counter this?

thanks for the tutorial link ill take a look at that.

Papagyi - Im using Mental Ray.

Spittle - thanks for the tip ill give that a crack and see how it goes.

Cad64- by turning the lights down to make the glow stand out more effectively wouldnt i lose the overall brightness of the scene and become too dark? if so whats the best way to counter this?

Well I have to ask, why would you have neon letters in a white sign that's hanging in such a brightly lit room. I think the first thing you need to do is work on your lighting. Rather than just having a fully illuminated scene, try working on creating some atmosphere by using individual, strategically placed, lights. Work on creating a softer lighting scheme and use shadows to your advantage. You should also think about using some darker materials on the walls and ceiling to help absorb some of the light, rather than white which is just going to reflect the light and make the scene even brighter. The sign itself could also be a darker color. This will make the letters stand out and help with the glow effect.