CTB. vs STB. plot styles

Cadfused

CTB or STB Plot Files. Which do you prefer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. CTB or STB Plot Files. Which do you prefer?

• CTB
    • STB

Hi SPDCAD

I actually saw the reverse in my career, if you can believe that; that is, I was introduced to STB before CTB.

ML

Yes, I can believe it. I have seen it a lot in the manufacturing field. That's is usually where I encounter the STB. I don't do a lot of teaching in that area, so that maybe why I encounter very little STB use.

I am usually consulting for the architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural fields. It maybe also the fact that i know the colleges and Universities in my area don't really teach STB's and if they do it is brief.

They usually go with the CTB to keep standards. Or that is the excuse they give me.

Good luck with the freelance work!

I myself still have a full time job. I haven't acquired enough work to go completely freelance yet.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cadfused

• ML0940

• NBC

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

It is easier to manage in the sense that you are limiting yourself to 9 line weights and colors; I mean, how complex can that be.

However, STB opens the door to about 26 line weights and infinite colors.

To me, the main problem with CTB is trying to manage your drawings visually.

If I see a tree, I want it green, just as if I see water, I want it blue.

May be they have trouble seeing the line weight as working independently of the color chosen on screen?

It is likely an excuse (from them) not to move forward.

Thank you for the well wishes.

I also work as well as I do not have a large customer base myself either. Also, I would like to get into a few freelanve endeavors so no to put all of my eggs in one basket.

People have paid me for writing in the past as well; that is completely seperate of CAD but nonetheless, freelance work.

I wish you the best as well

Would you mind if I were to pvt message you?

Perhaps we could compare notes

ML

My short one is I've used STB exclusively since 2000 and don't know much about CTB at all. But I chose to use it because I wanted to create my own Layer Colors and Line Weight in a way that makes sens to me.

But still need some imput on the viewport plotting to monochrome.STB. Cant get mine to plot in Black colored layers plot out in gray tones.

Rockford

Hi Rockford

Yep, you said it perfectly

I chose to use STB because I wanted to create my own Layer Colors and Line Weight in a way that makes sense to me.

I personally think CTB sucks!

What it is in short, is colors 1-9

1 being the thinnest pen and 9 being the thickest

So, people that have used it for years know that red is the thinnest and 9 is the thickest.

You are totally limited (w CTB) to color selection and line weights.

For your problem, specifically, why don't you use gray scale colors, like 256 etc?

ML

I don't understand how CTB is limited to linking a particular colour to a particular lineweight.

To me, that is just set up incorrectly.

All my CTB's plot according to what the colour and linetype are set to in the Layer Properties.

As for being limited to only 256 colours, I personally find that is usually more than adequate; as most people couldn't tell the difference visually between colours 10 and 20, for instance.

But then, it's all relative; one person's tomato is another person's tomato - and that's part of the beauty of CAD

HI NBC

Yes, thank you for he clarification; this is true, you can use any 9 color selections, on screen with CTB and 9 lightweights that are dictated by the color, no?

With STB, you can use any color, COMPLETELY independent of the line weight and you can use up to 26 line weights, I think

The big selling point for STB is that the user can use any color on screen and the line weight is associated the layer name, NOT the color

As you said, to each his own

No hard feelings :)

ML

CTB lad myself, have heard of STB's but haven't really looked into them to be honest. CTB for me allows me to see on screen what plot will look like in print preview

HI NBC

Yes, thank you for he clarification; this is true, you can use any 9 color selections, on screen with CTB and 9 lightweights that are dictated by the color, no?

With STB, you can use any color, COMPLETELY independent of the line weight and you can use up to 26 line weights, I think

The big selling point for STB is that the user can use any color on screen and the line weight is associated the layer name, NOT the color

As you said, to each his own

No hard feelings :)

ML

I have no hard feelings.

If the CTB is setup correctly, it can be a completely WYSIWYG system; and for that very reason I have never ventured into STB files.

As far as I know CTB is not restricted to 9 colours.

With CTB also, you can use any colour irrespective of lineweight or linestyle; as ideally these should all be set to be "Use Object ***"

*** = colour and/or lineweight and/or linetype

The way I have setup CTB's and will continue to do so relies at all times on the setup contained with the Layer Properties. It is not restricted in any way, as far as I can see.

NBC

It's not restricted to 9 line weights?

Also, the color selection in CTB dictates the line weight.

In STB, you can use any color, as the color is separate from the line weight

That is why it is called a

Color Dependent Table

as opposed to a

Style Dependent Table

If you have never used STB, then you really can not make a determination as to which one is better, can you?

Of course that is completely subjective.

I have used both and I can say with all confidence that STB is much more expansive as you are able to create like 26 styles that are associated with the layer and not COLOR dependent.

Again, it is whatever you are comfortable with :)

ML

I give up.

Fair enough, lineweight is in a way connected to colour; but when you have the whole of the CTB file set to be As Object, it matters not a jot; as all settings will be determined by what is set using Layer Properties.

I think STB can do this also; but I believe (rightly or wrongly) that CTB is far easier to manage across multiple sites.

Fair enough, line weight is in a way connected to color; but when you have the whole of the CTB file set to be As Object, it matters not a jot; as all settings will be determined by what is set using Layer Properties.

I think STB can do this also; but I believe (rightly or wrongly) that CTB is far easier to manage across multiple sites.

Hi NBC,

Not in a way, the line weight IS connected to the color in CTB

Let's take the first 5 colors as an example, 1-6

Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue and Magenta

Using a CTB table:

If you do a test plot using these 6 colors;

Name your layers 1-6, using each color respectfully.

You will notice that red will be the thinnest line and Magenta will be the thickest line.

Now, if you do the same test with a

STB pen style table

The plot style option will be available in your layer properties.

If you click on the plot style, you will see that you can make the layer ANY lightweight under the sun unlike with CTB to where Auto Desk predetermines the line weight for you, based on the color selection, in CTB, irregardless of the color of the layer

So, in STB, you now have 2 separate things to consider, that is layer properties, such as color, line type etc and Plot styles which work independently of the layer color.

Think of plot styles in the same way as you would think of a line type. They are independent but associated to a layer, for a specific use.

Also, you can make the line weights by Object in STB

ML

Hi NBC,

Using a CTB table:

If you do a test plot using these 6 colors;

Name your layers 1-6, using each color respectfully.

You will notice that red will be the thinnest line and Magenta will be the thickest line.

ML

The way I have setup my CTB file, this does not happen at all, not even remotely.

The lineweight of all plots is controlled by the Layer Manager.

Have I not said that often enough in this thread already ?

The LW are not predetermined, open the CTB and set them to any of the 26 LW available to you.

There are good arguments for using STB, but things get confused when invalid information is passed around.

The way I have setup my CTB file, this does not happen at all, not even remotely.

The lineweight of all plots is controlled by the Layer Manager.

Have I not said that often enough in this thread already ?

You still dont have the control you do with STB though. because you cannot set the lineweight to an entity by object like you can with STB that automatically overrides it. It is either pre-determined by the CTB file as ByObect, ByColor, or in the Layer Manager. but once you set the CTB file as ByObject then the color doesn't become a factor at all, and you ALWAYS have to set it ByObject which is not effecient. :)

Everything is set to be ByObject - colour, lineweight and linetype.

I don't need more control than that. Also, the users that I support do not need more than that; otherwise things would spin out of control.

This will be my last post on this thread.

I've tried explaining how I set up CTB files, but none of you seem to quite get it.

I have all the control I want / need; so there is no need to fiddle about with anything else.

In the end it is what works best for the CAD operator and his/her company. Personally, I do not use STB as I have been a long time AutoCAD user who grew up using CTB. I have made an effort though to control more of my lineweights from within the drawing via Layer Manager. I use just a handful of CTBs to plot all my drawings no matter if they are on a 24x36 size sheet or a 8.5x11 size sheet or anything inbetween (11x17 and 18x24). The choice of CTB vs. STB may also have been influenced by who trained you. Remember, it's the end result that matters, not necessarily how you got there.

Everything is set to be ByObject - colour, lineweight and linetype.

No it's not. Look here:

Under a CTB Plot Style, you DO NOT have control. It's grayed out.

2886770951_49d8bf0bd7_o.jpg

After typing CONVERTPSTYLES and choosing the STB style of your choice, you DO have control. It becomes available.

2886770961_6a905edff0_o.jpg

I don't need more control than that. Also, the users that I support do not need more than that; otherwise things would spin out of control.
That's fine, and I agree with you that you probably have all the control you want or need. But to me you are saying that a CTB plot style has just as much control over STB, and you're wrong. Especially about the "ByObject" control feature as I have noted above.

I've tried explaining how I set up CTB files, but none of you seem to quite get it.
I see that, and it's funny to me that "we don't quite get it" when we're explaining STB plot styles to you. You have never used STB plot styles right? So how is it that you know so much about them? :)