CTB. vs STB. plot styles

Cadfused

CTB or STB Plot Files. Which do you prefer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. CTB or STB Plot Files. Which do you prefer?

• CTB
    • STB

I don't profess to know much about STB's.

And you have the wrong end of the stick about setting things By Object. That is done inside the CTB file itself, and so it refers to whatever is setup within the Layer Manager. So therefore, the Layer Manager decides how things are plotted, and not any CTB file.

When used in conjunction with the tickbox "Display plot styles" it provides a seamless WYSIWYG environment which is so simple to use and gives the user an element of personal control within the company standards; without being too restrictive or complicated.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cadfused

• ML0940

• NBC

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

unless someone in your firm can come up with a few good reasons on why switching over to STB's would be significantly advantageous then I would recommend sticking with what you've got.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm in need of some help regarding CTB & STB.

Currently we use CTB in my office but we have recently joined with other offices to form a design group and the standards used by those other offices use STB. I have changed my settings under "Options", "Plot and Publish", "Plot Style Table Settings", "Default Plot Style Behavior for New Drawings", "Used Named Plot Style". I then try to create a new drawing using STB but all new drawings that I create continue to use CTB..........Please help!:unsure:

I have also tried using "CONVERTPSTYLES" in combination with "CONVERTCTB" with little success.

Once you make that change in options to use name plot style you must close and reopen autocad. Also, if you are calling a template upon opening autocad that might be a ctb file and will create a ctb based new drawing.

You should be able to use the .new command (notice the dot) and then pick a template that is set up for stb.

convertpstyles should work fine.

Once you make that change in options to use name plot style you must close and reopen autocad. Also, if you are calling a template upon opening autocad that might be a ctb file and will create a ctb based new drawing.

You should be able to use the .new command (notice the dot) and then pick a template that is set up for stb.

convertpstyles should work fine.

Thank you. I was using acad.dwg when starting a new drawing instead of one of the stb templates. Everything worked. :)

• 7 years later...

It's funny this thread got resurrected. A few posts up, back in 2008, I was WAY off. If I could go slap my former self I would. I agree with NBC's way of doing things in a CTB file, and my little example to prove him wrong wasn't even close to being accurate. ByObject in a CTB file takes it to the deepest possible override control in the hierarchy. Everything is control ByLayer first, BUT, if you select an object and override the entity itself, then it takes on the Lineweight selected.

Gotta love when the internet reminds you how wrong you actually were eight years ago lol. ;)

-TZ

To this day, I have not used a STB, although I would recommend it for anyone setting up plot styles. I also have not had the "luxury" of setting up a plot style for plotting in color. I've seen large format color plots and they seem much easier to read without many different lineweights, which I think is a huge advantage for congested drawings. I think the cost is going to have to come down significantly in order for it to be in favor around here.