Anyone here use Microstation?

Guest Gracie

Hi All, I've been out of touch for a while. Got sick, got laid off work, but life's good. I went to a job interview today and the arch firm told me they don't use AutoCAD, but rather they use Microstation. I went online to find out a little about it, and I see that their basic commands look similar.

Anyone here has experience with Microstation, and what is your opinion of the software, versus AutoCAD?

Appreciat your input,

Grace

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiger

• NBC

• hyposmurf

• studiorat

From the little I know about Microstation it is another technical drawings software package,but its a completely different beast.Dont let that out you off though Ive heard of people going from AutoCAD to Microstation.One or two came bcak though :)

Had to use if briefly... and hated it.

From seeing other reports across various forums, everyone who has used Acad for any length of time (and has had to use Mstation) hates Microstation

Guest bruno.trudo

Hi,

I have to learn Microstation during my studies at a collage. We used it for surveying apps. I hated this sw because it had a lot of bugs. I speak about the version 95, 95SE. Later I tryed Microstation V8 and this one is much more better. Nowadays I work with AutoCad. So my way was from Microstation to AutoCad. A lot of basic ideas are very similar but there are also a lot of differences.

My friend, an architect, likes MStation much (his works). But I see he rather uses ACad.

Have a luck with MStation

bruno

I've worked places where both software packages were being used (AutoCAD and Microstation). The commands are similar and you should have very little troubles learning Microstation. I believe it took me about 3 - 4 days to learn. Good Luck with this!

I prefer AutoCad only because I have used it longer. I have some formal training in Microstation, but I haven't used it in about a year.

Once you get the hang of it, which takes a while, it is pretty easy to use.

Microstation V8 seems to work better with AutoCAD files if that matters to you.

If you try to think in AutoCAD and work in Microstation you will get lost quickly.

Try to think of Microstation as another language.

One other thing I don't like about Microstation is that everything is in Model space.

Just a few thoughts.

Hello everyone, you've been very helpful in providing input, I truly appreciate it. It better prepares me for the possibility. I do know though that if I take the job, it won't be forever and I'll eventually want to go back to Autocad. I'm just up for any opportunity to learn a new software, so this is one way to get it done.

Much thanks to all,

Grace

• 2 years later...

i have been a user for 2 years and it is completely different

lots of odd mouse clicks although in V8xm you can customize the mouse behavior although my cadd moves still come through every once in a while its an ok software move ahead try it you will be used to it ina couple of weeks

j

yeah i know I realized it after the fact oops!! I admit it I am not the brightest bulb on monday mornings LOL

Who is ?

I don't wake up til Friday lunchtime; and only then cos it's nearly beertime !

No drinking on a school night here !

except tonight, of course.

took the little 'un and the mrs to a Mika concert !

Great fun it was too

• 2 years later...
Had to use if briefly... and hated it.

From seeing other reports across various forums, everyone who has used Acad for any length of time (and has had to use Mstation) hates Microstation

Oh dear! What a sweeping generalisation! "Everyone"??? No sir, utterly, categorically, absolutely WRONG. I am one of the everyones who prefers Microstation despite some years of ACAD and I know of many people who made the change and don't wish to go back (to ACAD)... so please, to retain a shred of credibility, don't be so adamant.

I find working with large files (40MB & bigger) ACAD slows dramatically; USTN has negligible problems. Whether this is due to networking issues I am not qualified to say but it is a fact. Where, you ask is it necessary to use such large files? In multi-disciplinary work for mining & oil+gas models which can get very complex, for instance. Maybe few ACAD users have had experience in such environments, and I haven't encountered many companies that use ACAD for such projects; there is one very prominent co. but I won't name it....

Perhaps some ACAD guys can enlighten me in this regard?

You do realize that this is an Autodesk/Autocad forum, right? :unsure:

I have fixed the quote you replied to, so that it now reads in context. Hendie's post was not a sweeping generalization. He was speaking about reports he had been reading on various forums.

Also, this thread is almost 5 years old. Another thread you replied to was 4 years old. Please don't dig up old Microstation threads just so you can bash Autocad. There are very few, if any, Microstation users here. So if you are looking for support, I'm afraid you're not going to find much. And please understand that we do not indulge in flaming or heated debates/arguments here. So if you are just here trying to instigate arguments, please don't.

If you want to join in and help out with answering questions in the forum, please do. But if you're not an Autocad user, I don't think you're going to find much to do around here.