Layer Filters.

skipsophrenic

Hi all,

Can someone gie my rusty brain a kickstart please, and remind me

how to set up the layer filters.

I've got 4 groups of layers at the moment that I need to try and filter by Colour, because the layer naming system that's being asked for is not the most CAD friendly.

See table below for filtering specifications.

Layer Type

Exist................Black

Modifs............0,0,255

Remvd............0,255,0

New...............255,0,0

Hi all,

Can someone gie my rusty brain a kickstart please, and remind me

how to set up the layer filters.

I've got 4 groups of layers at the moment that I need to try and filter by Colour, because the layer naming system that's being asked for is not the most CAD friendly.

See table below for filtering specifications.

Layer Type

Exist................Black

Modifs............0,0,255

Remvd............0,255,0

New...............255,0,0

Hey skipso - long time no speak!!

All you need to do is set up a properties filter from your layer properties manager dialogue box. It's the top left hand button or else Alt-P. You can give the filter a name and then in the top half of the dialogue box just click under 'colour' (your layers are all listed in the bottom half). When you click in the colour box, click on the little box with the 3 dots and select the colour that you want filtered. You will see the filtered layers appearing below.

If you click then in the next line down it works like a boolean 'AND'. So, for example, if you want to filter all layers that are RED and BLUE, you would select red in the first line of the filter box and blue in the second line and so on.....

I hope that makes sense...... :)

Indeed long time no speak.

Makes sense BUT I was wondering if there was the option to SAVE those filters so that way i could do it in maybe 1 or 2 clicks, instead of filtering everytime?

Indeed long time no speak.

Makes sense BUT I was wondering if there was the option to SAVE those filters so that way i could do it in maybe 1 or 2 clicks, instead of filtering everytime?

Once you give the name a filter it is saved automatically. Then if you add layers that conform to the filter requirements the filter is updated automatically.

If you click on the plus beside 'All' in the layers box, you can see the saved filters. Is that what you mean or am I misunderstanding?

thats exactly what i mean,

I'll try it out on monday when get chance, if there are any problems i'll let you know. :thumbsup:

Skipsophrenic - have you experimented with the layer states manager?

If you are not already aware of this...Command line - LAYERSTATE - it allows you to save certain views after you freeze, turn off layers etc. to return to at a later time with one command.

Acad help has a fairly good description of this if you're interested. - Cheers

Skipsophrenic - have you experimented with the layer states manager?

If you are not already aware of this...Command line - LAYERSTATE - it allows you to save certain views after you freeze, turn off layers etc. to return to at a later time with one command.

Acad help has a fairly good description of this if you're interested. - Cheers

I use them alot, but problem with that is if any new layers are added, the state manager would need constant updates, that's why i was asking about layer filters. :)

Pursuant to my question - i've got the filters set up, and i was wondering if theres a way to set up the layer states so that they update according to the filters? - or am I asking to much of ACAD 08?