Will AutoCAD Inventor Professional 2010 open on Autodesk Inventor Professional 2008

NLClause

... both our construction section and our piping section into the same program, from what we have seen, SolidWorks will work the best for the construction side while still make the Piping guys happy.

I'm starting to feel ignorant. Can you elaborate. I'm not out to bash SolidWorks here, just curious how SWx is any different than Inventor for this application.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• ReMark

• mtm_cad

• Cad64

I'm starting to feel ignorant. Can you elaborate. I'm not out to bash SolidWorks here, just curious how SWx is any different than Inventor for this application.

if I may, I think he's referring to the fact that Inventor does it in Assembly mode where as SolidWorks does it in Part mode. It is much cleaner and easier to manage in Part design. The BOM for the cut lengths works well too. but, to be fair, Inventor did improve a lot since the intro of Frame generator. Not too many people know about that feature.

>the fact that Inventor does it in Assembly mode where as SolidWorks does it in Part mode.

Go out on the shop floor. An assembly is a collection of parts. In any case in the digital world it is all 1s and 0s in a project folder. I never have understood why those coming from AutoCAD have so much trouble accepting this (oh no, how am I going to keep track of all of those files) when the people out on the shop floor have no trouble understanding that parts are parts, assemblies are collection of parts and drawings are sheets of paper.

Oh well.

"Because of the history based features anyone can go back in history on the parts and see exactly how the part was built."

That is most interesting. Do you think, as AutoCAD progresses, a feature such as this would be incorporated at some point in the future? Or do you think AutoCAD will be phased out and current users migrated towards Inventor? If that were to happen I see AutoCAD LT taking the place of AutoCAD.

I think, as I've always said, that Autodesk should drop the 3D part of Autocad, discontinue Autocad LT and just make one full featured 2D drafting program. That's what Autocad does best and that's what they should continue to develop. Those that want the 3D capability can then go to Inventor, or Revit, or Civil 3D depending on their discipline. I mean, if you buy one of these other programs, you get a far superior 3D program that's designed specifically for the type of work you do, and you get Autocad included with it, right? So why do you need 3D in Autocad? :unsure:

I guess it's just a money thing. You keep 3D in Autocad and you can continue to charge $4k for the program. :roll:

I forgot I had this thread to look at as well, hence my late respons.

I really have no solid ground in saying that SolidWorks will do better than Inventor for us. Without anyone here that have used either of the programs, what we have gone on is the demos we have seen. I don't claim that that is the best way to choose from, but it's all we had.

And the fact stands that the demo-handler we had for Inventor in no way indicated that we could do construction in Inventor - for that he said that we should use normal AutoCAD.

Wheras the demo-handler for Solidworks demonstrated how we would go aboutdoing pillars, beam-assemblies, reinforcement among others.

Again, we may have made a completely wrong decision - but from what we have seen, we have made the in our opinion best decision possible.

And about not being able to wrap ones head about parts, assemblies and whatnots - it always takes a while to get to know a new thing. I know you are an elite JD - but don't tell me that the first time you opened Inventor it all made sense to you?