Rename a Block

kari_sinkko

Just to up the Anti :shock:

How can you edit the name of a block without using the rename command.

What if your drawing has over fifty blocks, and your chasing the renaming of just one block?

Would this be a script type solution.. ?

what difference would the number of blocks be; as long as you know the name of the block you wish to rename, there would be no need of a script

what are you asking? Why wouldn't you want to use the appropriate command to do something? The rename command works well enough renaming just one block in a drawing containing any number of blocks.

I created you a new thread for this question.

I just select the block I wish to rename, then _LIST, select the block name and Copy (Ctrl+C), then RENAME, Paste (Ctrl+V) in the Old Name box, type in the new name and then "OK" or "Rename To:".

If you want to use a script use -RENAME to use non-dialog box version, but you will still need to know the name of the block.

Maybe a LISP or VBA routine can give you the option of just selecting the block to be renamed and then type in the new name.

• 4 years later...

SLW210,

Thank you very much for your post. I was able to quickly help a co-worker figure this out because of your excellent information.

Have a fantastic day!

• 4 months later...

That very cool program from Mr. Lee Mac does not rename an existing block definition. It creates a new block with a different name. It leaves the existing block definition intact.

Ahh, I see. Thanks a lot for clarifying that RobDraw.

I just tested it running Lee Mac’s rename routine on 1 instance of a block in a drawing which contains multiple copies of this block… and it only renamed that single instance of the block – as you pointed out.

Do you know of a block rename routine that will actually rename the block definition (the same way that RENAME does – but applied in the same manner as Lee Mac’s routine)?

Perhaps this question deserves a new thread…

Thanks a lot for your help.

Do you know of a block rename routine that will actually rename the block definition (the same way that RENAME does – but applied in the same manner as Lee Mac’s routine)?

Perhaps this question deserves a new thread…

FWIW -

My Right Click Rename for AutoCAD® plug-in is under ADN review now, and will soon be published at Autodesk Exchange... Sample screen shot when a single Block is selected:

attachment.php?attachmentid=41879&stc=1&d=1368555266

Edited by BlackBox
Updated link to live exchange app

Awesome, that looks like it will come in very handy, thanks BlackBox.

Will there be a keyboard shortcut/command for users who have 'right click enter' and don't use the right-click menu?

Awesome, that looks like it will come in very handy, thanks BlackBox.

That is kind of you to say, lamensterms... It has been very useful for me over the past several months, which is why I felt it was time to publish it... I hope others find it as useful as I have.

Will there be a keyboard shortcut/command for users who have 'right click enter' and don't use the right-click menu?

To clarify, this is not part of the standard right click menu (with, or without time sensitive right click); it's actually added to the context (right-click) menu, which is only displayed when one or more entities have been selected.

I've coded this plug-in such that when one selects any single entity, the Rename context menu is enabled, and only the properties that apply to the selected entity populate the Rename context menu (i.e., a Block has a Block [name], whereas Mtext has a Text style, etc.), and only those property items that can be renamed are enabled, otherwise grayed out.

As an example from this post, here are a few other entity types (i.e., Table, MLeader, Dimension, etc.):

attachment.php?attachmentid=41880&stc=1&d=1368555274 attachment.php?attachmentid=41881&stc=1&d=1368555281 attachment.php?attachmentid=41882&stc=1&d=1368555295

A planned enhancement already in the works, is a contextual Ribbon Tab, that will have a custom System Variable (or perhaps Options tab?) to control which configuration the user wants, so that the Rename tab will be added to the right of the user's Ribbon accordingly.

In any event, thought this might help to clarify.

As for the keyboard shortcut... That actually would not be that hard to implement, same command name for each 'style', and based on the applicable entity being selected (implied selection allowed, etc.), the same behavior would be enacted. I've also already thought of providing some LispFunction Method(s) to simplify the process within a user's custom code as well, rather than having to get a given TableRecord Object Name and EntMod, or access the parent Collection's Item, etc..

Cheers

That is a really cool tool, BlackBox. With all the bad CAD I have to deal with, I can see using it quite frequently. When will it be ready?

That is a really cool tool, BlackBox.

That means a great deal coming from you, RobDraw, and I appreciate that... Thank you. :beer:

With all the bad CAD I have to deal with, I can see using it quite frequently.

I've genuinely found this plug-in to be invaluable working on myriad client/consultant drawing standards since first developing it back during 2014 Beta.

When will it be ready?

As it happens, ADN has already completed preliminary testing of my plug-in.

This morning (I'm at home today, on reduced hours), I received it back from ADN packaged in an installer, have already tested it, and requested that they publish my plug-in to Autodesk Exchange... I hope to hear back soon, and will be sure to share here when I do. #bbox

Cheers

Edited by BlackBox

... I hope to hear back soon, and will be sure to share here when I do.

:: Update ::

We have forwarded your app to Autodesk Exchange Store Manager for his review and approval.

Once it is approved the app will go live in Autodesk Exchange store.

Please Note: Normally, it would take two or three days for approval.

$1.00? I'll have to think about it.

Seriously though, I will have to get it. When and if I ever get back to cleaning up bad CAD, I will let you know how it works.

$1.00? I'll have to think about it.

Seriously though, I will have to get it. When and if I ever get back to cleaning up bad CAD, I will let you know how it works.

I wish I were able to just give my work away for free (as I've often done here in the forums)... Regretfully however, I've required a small fee for the time, and effort I've personally invested on this product from concept to release, and I felt that $1.00 USD was a fair value, for what I've offered (others are easily $2.00-$5.00).

I can only hope that others feel similar about my work. :beer:

If I upgrade to newer version I'll definitely be getting that!

FWIW - Autodesk Exchange requires the use of an Autoloader .bundle to support 2012-2014, but I've compiled the .NET assembly for 2012 using .NET 3.5 framework, so it can actually be NETLOADed into 2010, and 2011 as well (which I use at work daily, and how I tested this plug-in for production readiness for the past few months). :thumbsup:

bbox.RightClickRename.compatible.with.2010.2011.png

Edited by BlackBox