Drawing 3D Thread using helix / sweep

jl9r

Hi there

I have searched through and found various answers to the 'how to draw a 3D thread'. I followed the tutorial on helix and then sweep - BUT I cannot get it to produce more than 3 full threads. I then have had to copy and paste the thread across to get more turns.

Also - how do I turn this into a solid. The tutorial says that you just produce a cylinder inside the thread and use the union command. I try this and it will not union them and when I try a subtract command later to remove a flat from the thread, it does nothing...:?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

• 3 months later...

Gents,

I have been attempting to follow this tutorial but with out the associated files.

~The main issue I seem to be having is when I create the cutting tool from a 3 line polyline triangle the result is 3 individually swept surfaces.

I need the thread to be solid so I can subtract it from a cylinder and indent the thread into it.

I see that the Cutting Tool in the tutorial has 3 extra lines inset, why is that? Is it a solid surface? must i sweep a differnt poly line object? or a joined polyline object? Im new to CAD and any help would be appreciated.

Gents,

I have been attempting to follow this tutorial but with out the associated files.

~The main issue I seem to be having is when I create the cutting tool from a 3 line polyline triangle the result is 3 individually swept surfaces.

I need the thread to be solid so I can subtract it from a cylinder and indent the thread into it.

I see that the Cutting Tool in the tutorial has 3 extra lines inset, why is that? Is it a solid surface? must i sweep a differnt poly line object? or a joined polyline object? Im new to CAD and any help would be appreciated.

Your thread cutting profile must be a joined or it will sweep only 3 surfaces as you stated. Use PEDIT and join the three lines then sweep the helix.

KC

Thanks, this worked last night. I have now since gone to work and started over and I cant get the damn thing working.

This is what I have done, drawn 3 lines on a flat plane to form a triangle.

I have then joined them. I then move the triangle to position it with the top of the helix that i want to sweep. type "sweep" then select the triangle, then when promted I select the helix as the sweep path.

I then get a message saying "unable to sweep the selected object." Extremely frustrating as last night I did what you told me in a matter of seconds.

:x