trouble projecting geometry with 2009

Harley157

I would like to see your simplied version step by step.

In the attached picture the resolution didn't come out quite right - some of the dimension extension lines look too thick, like object lines, especially the Ø.785 and the .765 Do not let these confuse you.

Create Sketch1 as shown.

Start with a Rectangle just below the origin.

Change the end lines to constuction and the top line to centerline type.

Add a coincident constraint between the projected origin and any location on the centerline (except the endpoints or centerpoint).

Dimension the overall length and the major diameter.

Add additional lines and dimensions as in sketch.

Attach what you have so far here and I'll continue to sketch2.

Your model is a trivial path - see the tutorials in my signature for a more complex path. These were done in v11 - there are easier methods now, but the key is to create a slot that actually represents the milled geometry. Many don't get this right.

Sketch 1.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• Harley157

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JD, thanks for sharing this. I don't have time today to really get into this as I would like to. I will dive into this as quick as I can. I read what you posted and some of it is a little vague. But I haven't tried it yet either. I am

anxious to get a handle on this. I will let you know soon. Thanks

I read what you posted and some of it is a little vague.

I'll break the steps down a bit more.

Create a Rectangle and dimension as shown.

If you haven't already, expand the Origin folder at the top of the browser and turn on the Visibility of the Center Point. Let me know if you can't figure out this step.

Step1.PNG

Here is what I have so far. Not sure about the coincident restraint. I didn't go any further because I wasn't sure if I was going in right direction. Maybe things will clear up a little now. Thanks. I know I have a ways to go here.

exercise1.zip

Not sure about the coincident restraint.

Have you gone through this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2007/MA105-1L%20Mather.pdf

See the attached image. Change the top horizontal line to a center line type (your screen will look different - but the icon is in same general location).

Extend the .765 construction line to the center line.

BTW - iProperties indicate you have not installed Service Packs for r2009. I recommend you install all Hot Fixes and Service Packs.

Centerline.jpg

Here are changes I made. I did read your article and it is very good.

There were things I didn't understand, but I am still new to this. I used Rhino exclusively for several years and the changeover has been

difficult. I am taking things a little at a time. Your help is fantastic. Just need things toned down a bit until I get more familiar with it.

exercise2.zip

How did you create the sketch? You aren't using AutoCAD for this are you? The coincident constraints at endpoints are missing and they should have been created automatically without any special input by you.

This simple part might turn out to be difficult if you are using AutoCAD.

I actually deleted the coincident endpoints. Probably because I have had so much trouble with constraints, and not understanding exactly how to properly use them.

I actually deleted the coincident endpoints. Probably because I have had so much trouble with constraints, and not understanding exactly how to properly use them.

Let's start over, brand new file, sketch only the rectangle as intially instructed and forget all of the other lines. Add the one dimension and change the linetypes as initially constructed. We will then move on from there.

Ok, here is a start from scratch exercise. Just started it, and left it.

Sorry for the trouble. It is always easier for me to see how someone

does something and ask questions. Maybe starting fresh is best. Thanks. Created rectangle,dim., changed linetypes.

start exercise.zip

How is it that the rectangle height is an exact number? It should have been random as I didn't instruct to dimension yet.

And in fact when I add the dimension it shows that it is d4. d1 and d2 are missing?

In any case add the diametrial dimension - this is done by selecting the centerline (not the endpoint of the centerline) and second point or line.

diametral.JPG

Ok, I might have to give up here in frustration. Have you fooled with the default constraint settings?

Your "rectangle" should automatically have a horizontal and perpendicular constraints along with parallel constraints. Simply click rectangle and click click on the screen. Done, finished, complete. No other imput by you should be needed, yet these constraints are missing on your "rectangle".

Not sure what you are doing, whatever it is it isn't right and creating way too much work.

Frustration.JPG

Sorry for all the frustration. I'm a little frustrated too. I have not

changed any default settings. I may have changed things some when

I added dimensions. At present, this is exactly what I think you

wanted. You can show all constraints and see. I did not go any further for fear of doing something not right. Not knowing exactly where we are going with this, I probably added steps not necessary.

start exercise1.zip

Now we are making some progress. All of your constraints are there. (you can show them by right clicking in the graphics window while in edit sketch and select Show All Constraints. Just the opposite to hide.)

Add the vertical line as shown and the two dimensions (your dimensions will probably be different than mine as I stretched things to test your constraints). You can edit the dimensions to your desired results - but not really important at this point.

Making Progress.JPG

Glad we're making some progress. Thanks.

Well, I thought we were anyhow. Two steps forward one step back.

When I drag your sketch point it doesn't stay constrained to the centerline, nor does the vertical line. Show all constraints reveals that there are no coincident constraints on these. Inventor should have automatically added coincident constraints with no input required on your part. In fact, the sketch point isn't even needed.

Just start line command and click on center line and the other horizontal line, then add dimension.

Are you sure you haven't fooled with Constraint Options?

The idea is if I drag that point to the projected origin the entire sketch should move as one and snap to the origin and change color indicating the sketch is fully constrained.

Step back.JPG

Constraint Options.jpg

I know what happened now. The way I picked the lines before,

the right vertical line would move in instead of the line I added after adding dimension.

What I did was to create 2 small lines and dimension them, then

move both lines to the endpoint. Then I added the construction

line and deleted the 2 small lines. I still am doing some transition

from Rhino. It's hard, but I'm determined. Once I fully understand

how the constraints work, I'll be better off.

start exercise1.zip