tip's n tricks on editing your own renderings?

warren architecture

anyone got any good tips on how to alter your 3D renders to look more real or with a softer look to them?

I'm using photshop SE

Do you have an example of the look you're trying to achieve that you could post here?

What software are you using to produce your renders and what is it that you don't like about the rendered image?

If you post one of your renders we can critique it and give you advice on how to make it look better.

I've done these in AA 09 and imported it into SketchUp and are my first two proper renders

http://www.warnoeuk.f9.co.uk/WArender%20Rev%20Ba.jpg

http://www.warnoeuk.f9.co.uk/WArender%20RevB2a.jpg

I want just to improve on what I have done i.e. glossy floors and make the leather on the

chairs look more real looking

If you want glossy floors and more realistic leather, that should be done with your materials, within AA or Sketchup, prior to rendering. It's not really something you would do in photoshop afterwards. You need to play with the glossiness and reflectivity of your floor material to make it shiny. And add a bump map to your leather material to get a more realistic leathery look.

You also need to work on your models. The furniture is much too square and boxy looking. You need to round those corners to give it a softer appearance. Right now, the couches look like they're made out of hard plastic, not soft leather.

I would change the color of the furniture legs. This is another factor contributing to the plastic appearance. With everything the same color, it looks like the whole thing was molded in one piece.

I'm also seeing an issue with the wall pattern behind the television. It looks like the material you used there is having a tiling problem. The pattern is not aligning properly.

You might want to also think about doing something different with the framing around the large windows. It looks odd the way the stone veneer goes in at an angle towards the window. It just doesn't look right.

check out the vray pluggin for sketchup, here´s a sample of my latest rendering rendered with it

bar11.jpg

I didn´t configure any materials on the renderings, just lighting. You can get better results if you set the material properties with vray.

Michael, you might want to take a look at that door. I've never seen a door that went floor to ceiling like that. If that door opens into the room, it's going to hit those little ceiling lights.

You might also want to work on your materials. The cup and saucer in the first image looks very dull. They should be shiny and reflective. The saucer looks faceted too. You might want to smooth it out.

cad 64,

The door opens into the next room and won´t hit the spotlights, like i said in the post, the materials in the render aren´t vray configured.

I just wanted to point out to warren architecture that he can get a bit more quality using vray without having to waste alot of time.

Thanks for the tip anyways! I´ll be posting more images for your critiques:)

michaeloureiro, love the 3D renders I'm also using sketch up with the vray plug in and would be intrested how you get the materails with a gloss/shinny look being new to this with no proper training it's a slow but steady learning curve at the moment.

but here's my current revised render with a small bit of photoshop added, this is the first time I've used the VRAY plugin and quite impressed on how easy it is to use.

warender%20rev%20caa1a.jpg

It's still a working progress model at the moment but I've updated some of the materails i.e oak flooring, sofa materail & wall paper.

also anyone got links to free materails to be used in Sketchup? I having difficulty in finding a good web site

but here's my current revised render with a small bit of photoshop added, this is the first time I've used the VRAY plugin and quite impressed on how easy it is to use.

It's still a working progress model at the moment but I've updated some of the materails i.e oak flooring, sofa materail & wall paper.

Looking much better. The furniture still looks pretty square and boxy, but the materials are a big improvement. I think you just need to add some padding to the armrests and soften the edges so it looks like there would be some cushion if you sat on it.

• 4 months later...

thanks for the kind comments guys

I'm self teaching at the moment so it's taking probaly a little longer than if I attended a course.

but I have done some renders as below, but having issues with the natural lighting:?

GARAGE1a%20(Small).jpg

GARAGE1aaa%20(Small).jpg

GARAGE1aa%20(Small).jpg

I'm uploading some of my work onto my web site.

http://warrenarchitecture.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7269162