AutoCAD 2010 running slow

www.cmorephotos.co.uk

I have a problem with autocad and solidwork i am running on my station here are the specs:

windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Z800 Workstation

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Xeon® CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

Memory: 24576MB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

and i am dual screening.

cant figure what is going on and apprently it is not video card or ram or processer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• clydemit

• cwize

• Larry711

Top Posters In This Topic

heres the fix upgrade to Autocad 2012,

i had the same problems on my laptop

i got a core i7 720 qm

4gb ram ddr3 by other laptop a core 2 duo 4gb ram ddr2, could run autocad flawlessly,

but not my new core i7 machine.

after upgrading to autocad 2012 i have no more performance issues,

if yall are having performance issues try installing the autocad 2012 trial and see the difference

The HP Z800 was one of three systems I looked at but eventually did not buy. Your setup should be blazing not crawling. How new is your system? Did you contact HP regarding the problem?

I'd love to get my hands of one of these fast machines that doesn't perform up to expectations. I'd uninstall everything except the OS, and then start disabling non-essential services as well as checking for network conflicts.

There is one problem i have an it support that sucks and i am only allowed to contact cad software companys whos software i use not microsoft, hp or anything it has to go through them the only other option is for them to update bios since they already re-image(re-install windows 7)

Does HP include a lot of "crapware" on its high end workstations?

it does but i wiped it out.

sorry for taking so long to answer

Also our network sucks and solidworks and autocad parts are in another building on a server and has to travel and split through many switches

The HP Z800 was one of three systems I looked at but eventually did not buy. Your setup should be blazing not crawling. How new is your system? Did you contact HP regarding the problem?

it is less then 5 months old and has numerous problems

Check Task Manager and see what programs are using up the memory. I noticed, here where I work, that IT has a lot of things cranking up when I first start up. If I try to fire-up AutoCAD or even Outlook first thing it is sluggish all day, if I wait till all the start-up stuff from IT gets finished, it seems to run a lot smoother and gives me time to go get some coffee.

If you believe your network is the source of the problem try testing this theory by working on a drawing directly off your hard drive. Choose a drawing that you have experienced problems with in the past.

we are upgrading solidworks to 2011 because they have the options to take parts from network and edit them on hard drive then save back to network offen but autocad is slow because of something i tried turning off settings in autocad it is like the cursor is on a grid and grid iand snap are not on it is just jumpy

Check Task Manager and see what programs are using up the memory. I noticed, here where I work, that IT has a lot of things cranking up when I first start up. If I try to fire-up AutoCAD or even Outlook first thing it is sluggish all day, if I wait till all the start-up stuff from IT gets finished, it seems to run a lot smoother and gives me time to go get some coffee.

i have 24 gigs of ram dude definitely not the problem i did notice that solidworks and autocad can only use each 2 of my 12 cores at a time

i have 24 gigs of ram dude definitely not the problem i did notice that solidworks and autocad can only use each 2 of my 12 cores at a time

If you say so, I am glad you took 20 seconds to check it out.

it is like the cursor is on a grid and grid iand snap are not on it is just jumpy

My desktop does that under certain conditions, like if the AutoCAD window is not maximized on the 2nd monitor, or in a very dense drawing if Selection Cycling is turned on. I attribute that to a deficience or conflict with the video subsystem.

The amount of RAM in your system will not improve performance if there's a software conflict with one of the other programs / processes.

@ Nestly this computer should be blazing through parts and drawings the one issue we found that was mainly slowing down the work is that my computer is the only one with windows 7 and has had problems after months of re imaging and what not. so it is either windows 7 or the IT programs which include novell groupwise and novell login (which should be turned over to windows servers pretty soon... im praying)

@ Nestly this computer should be blazing through parts and drawings the one issue we found that was mainly slowing down the work is that my computer is the only one with windows 7 and has had problems after months of re imaging and what not. so it is either windows 7 or the IT programs which include novell groupwise and novell login (which should be turned over to windows servers pretty soon... im praying)

That's my point, and I believe the point that SWL210 was alluding to as well. AutoCAD is conflicting with "something" on your system, because clearly your hardware is more than adequate. My perception from spending a lot of time in AutoCAD discussion groups is that Windows 7 has more of these types of performance problems even on very high-end computers than does WinXP. But it's not just Win7, it's a combination of things that only affect a relatively small percentage of users.

IMO, you need to uninstall programs and disable all processes that are not absolutely necessary for Windows to operate, and then systematically turn them back on until the conflict is isolated. When I say everything, I'm not just referring to Apps, I'm talking about stuff that's turned on by default in every windows install, including Windows Update, Messenger, file indexing services, windows firewall, bluetooth, bitlocker, task scheduler ... everything. IMO, that has include unplugging the network and running the files locally, as well as your 2nd monitor. Someone invested a lot of money in your system, unfortunately, someone's also going to have to invest a lot of time into diagnostics to find out why you're not getting your money's worth.

Yes and i will have to bring this up to IT but they cant test my computer cause they dont understand CAD programs at all and i am not supposed to touch the services of the computer if you could give me a detailed way to do this in windows 7 then i will try just dont want to screw up anything.

There isn't going to be any specific checklist because the hardware varies between systems. HP is going to have stuff on there that won't exist on any other brand, and maybe not even on other HP's that were purchased earlier. For instance, I'm about 95% sure HP has own proprietary backup software, as well as their own system updating software loaded and running.

Hopefully your IT guys already know what most of the processes and services do, and are resourceful enough to figure out what the other stuff is. If your computer is highly customized and/or has a lot of apps loaded, make a full backup to a remote location just in case, but most likely you're not going to want to restore your computer to it's current state anyway since it's not working all that well in it's current state. They don't have to understand AutoCAD, just show them the jerky mouse and then walk them over to a lesser system that doesn't have that problem, if they're worth anything, they'll understand the core issue.