Staircases In Inventor

stevsmith

Looks like you will want to find information on "curve driven path" for "Rectangular Patterns" which I put in quotes as it is really a misnomer, and how to use Component Patterns driven by skeletal part pattern. Easy to understand once you know how, but kind of hidden information for a beginner to discover.

Best method migh be to give it a start and then come back with how to pattern these...

I would start a new thread.

Also, for that sort of elliptical staircase you will need to become familiar with intersecting curves in 3D sketches - here is a tutorial that will get you started http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf the basic idea is if you can tie a not you should be able to get about any 3D path.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevsmith

• Arden-Stairs

• JD Mather

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, we've been detailing feature stairs in Inventor for some time (despite the fact that it is not created for architectural applications). We do very complex stairs - like yours by the looks of it. We've made the call to transition from AutoCad to Inventor, but the learning curve is rather long in order to do it efficiently. There are some advantages to moving to AI, such as the ability to break up large projects between multiple people and integrate their work together.

Curves are always tricky - in 2D or 3D!

I've finally gotten around to starting a full case-study of a typical, moderately complex feature staircase and balustrade. I don't think I can post the link here directly, but if you do a google search on 'Arden Stairs', you'll find us.

I'm putting the installments of the modelling process in the 'resources' section. The case study is not a curve, but there might be something in there that could help.

kind regards,

Matt

Hey, Your company is almost identical to the kind I worked for.

Unfortunately, I don't do staircase's anymore. I left my job 2 months ago now and have left it all behind. Although I now use inventor at my new job.

It's all sheet-metal baby.

Here is where I used to work.

http://www.annandaledesign.co.uk/

I used to design everything from scratch.

Haha.

I just visited my old company's website and the final stair I designed won a Stair of the year design award. lol

Another one for the CV.

Nice work! Be sure to give us a bell if you ever want to design stairs again :)

Here is a nice tutorial of iCopy with Stairs. Available in IV2010 and IV2011

Nice video! iCopy is a great way to get design re-use with middle-out design. If only our clients would specify the same design, instead of wanting something unique every time...:(

Nice video! iCopy is a great way to get design re-use with middle-out design. If only our clients would specify the same design, instead of wanting something unique every time...:(

Urg!! I know that feeling, then they go and chnge the design halfway through!

Damn architect, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to let people know I'm now up to the third installment on a case-study walk-through on stair modeling in inventor.

You can find it by doing a google search on 'Feature staircase design in Autodesk Inventor'.

best regards,

Matt

Guest KArthur1
Just a quick note to let people know I'm now up to the third installment on a case-study walk-through on stair modeling in inventor.

You can find it by doing a google search on 'Feature staircase design in Autodesk Inventor'.

best regards,

Matt

Matt,

Just finished reading thru what you posted. Be sure to drop a line here for each installment.

Good reading so far. Keep it up.

Kirk

Matt,

Just finished reading thru what you posted. Be sure to drop a line here for each installment.

Good reading so far. Keep it up.

Kirk

Hey thanks for the feedback Kirk! I should add some messaging functionality to my site so that I can learn about oother peoples's strategies. Big project just hit my desk so the next update could be a little slow.