Mystery SYMBOL

cad_student

Sorry but the diagram is so small I'm having trouble reading it. Let's step back and review.

You have a fan unit. How many wires are attached to it and what color are they?

You have a controller of some kind. How many wires are attached to it and what color are they?

Is there any other device (like a capacitor) that is present? If so, how many wires does it have and what color are they?

In the U.K., in a normal wire for a house circuit, there are three wires right? The "hot" (black), the "neutral" (white) and a bare copper "ground" wire. Right?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cad_student

• ReMark

• Car5858

• CADMASTER1128

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed electrician.

However, that said, I've done a fair amount of wiring in my own house. It seems to me that just like a light fixture that is on a dimmer switch (reostat) the wiring must be similar for a fan with a variable speed controller. First and foremost the power has to reach the controller before it reaches the fan. Then it has to go from the controller to the fan and then returned. So here is what I think the wiring should look like. Wish I had more info to go on but I am taking my best shot here without the benefit of your answers to my previous questions.

If you wire the fan this way and your house goes up in flames I'm denying everything and blaming the "electrician" (that's YOU) for the fire. Got it?

Exhaust fan wiring.dwg

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed electrician.

If you wire the fan this way and your house goes up in flames I'm denying everything and blaming the "electrician" (that's YOU) for the fire. Got it?

[ATTACH]13122[/ATTACH]

We won't even see the smoke on the East Coast, USA. :lol:

Please test the wiring on Guy Fawkes Day! :twisted:

Sorry but the diagram is so small I'm having trouble reading it. Let's step back and review.

You have a fan unit. How many wires are attached to it and what color are they?

You have a controller of some kind. How many wires are attached to it and what color are they?

Is there any other device (like a capacitor) that is present? If so, how many wires does it have and what color are they?

In the U.K., in a normal wire for a house circuit, there are three wires right? The "hot" (black), the "neutral" (white) and a bare copper "ground" wire. Right?

O.k here goes this is a closeup of the wiring diagram below,I have included a few snapshot's of the unit itself (sorry about pic quality).

The wire was once complete and ran from the fan to the plug,That was until i cut the wire in half so as to connect to speed controller,The wire colours are as follows Blue-neutral,Green/Yellow-earth,Brown-live.Also i do not have a capacitor and the controller is just the unit,I connect the cut wire to it.

No prob's about the disclaimer any advice is taken at my own peril:D.

lastscan2.jpg

RIMG0265.jpg

RIMG0267.jpg

RIMG0268.jpg

We won't even see the smoke on the East Coast, USA. :lol:

Please test the wiring on Guy Fawkes Day! :twisted:

Maybe i can come to your's and test it out :D.

Shocked.jpg

Those picture are great. Did you find them online or do you have the device?

I took the pictures myself,And am currently (no pun intended) in possesion of said device.Any input is most graciously appreciated.

Just to make sure that both aides of the pond are speaking the same language.

Over here, to get 240v, we use two hots (line, live) at 120vac (Line to Neutral) each - for a difference between them of 240vac. From a quick google search, it looks like you in the EU use one hot at 240 vac line to neutral.

Assuming that - disclaimer, yada yada yada...

It looks like your nuetral from the supply panel should go to one of the N terminals, the Nuetral for your fan motor should go to the other (I'd use the right one for the motor) the Hot for the motor will be the terminal with your mystery symbol.

The hot from the supply panel can go to either of the connections with the arrows. The left one has a breaker inside the controller box before it goes to the controller. The terminal with the arrow on the right can either bypass the breaker and supply the controller, or can be used as a breakered hot for some other device (say a light next to the fan).

Let the collective knowledge of the boards look this over and comment before you take my word for it. I know nothing about UK or German electric systems.

Good Luck.

Glen

PS, be sure to connect the grounds to the appropriate locations. Hopefully they are all marked well.

Just to make sure that both aides of the pond are speaking the same language.

Over here, to get 240v, we use two hots (line, live) at 120vac (Line to Neutral) each - for a difference between them of 240vac. From a quick google search, it looks like you in the EU use one hot at 240 vac line to neutral.

Assuming that - disclaimer, yada yada yada...

It looks like your nuetral from the supply panel should go to one of the N terminals, the Nuetral for your fan motor should go to the other (I'd use the right one for the motor) the Hot for the motor will be the terminal with your mystery symbol.

The hot from the supply panel can go to either of the connections with the arrows. The left one has a breaker inside the controller box before it goes to the controller. The terminal with the arrow on the right can either bypass the breaker and supply the controller, or can be used as a breakered hot for some other device (say a light next to the fan).

Let the collective knowledge of the boards look this over and comment before you take my word for it. I know nothing about UK or German electric systems.

Good Luck.

Glen

Hey,Thank's glen your explaination sound's correct (very) the more i read those word's the more it makes complete sense.I will wait just incase anymore answers come in ,but if not i'm very satisfied with your explanation of things,Cheer's to you :),And everyone else who offered me advice including the tireless effort from ReMark Thank's to all.

5 Connections

Up arrow = power in (L1)

Down arrow= power to light

N= netural in (L2)

N= netural to fan

Variable AC motor controler symbol = power to fan unit.

Same as what Glen has explained, note that L1 and L2 are the two power legs.

Disclamer applies.

5 Connections

Up arrow = power in (L1)

Down arrow= power to light

N= netural in (L2)

N= netural to fan

Variable AC motor controler symbol = power to fan unit.

Same as what Glen has explained, note that L1 and L2 are the two power legs.

Disclamer applies.

Many thank's, disclaimer accepted.....Better go i smell burning :D.