Drawing History

skipsophrenic

quick question: why is it that i keep on seeing that alot of engineers and architects don´t know how to use cad?? is there some specific reason for that? Around here if you don´t know cad you´re unemployed be it engineer or architect.

Not sure about over in the states but here to be an engineer you just need the engineering qualifications.

It may be easier for now.

But do you really want a repeat episode of this ?

Nope,

I've decided that i might arrange a meeting with both cad team and engineers and re-iterate the ground rules (hope it works)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NBC

• skipsophrenic

• EMS_0525

• michaeloureiro

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided that i might arrange a meeting with both cad team and engineers and re-iterate the ground rules (hope it works)

Good luck with that; I've been trying to drum home the differences in quality and speed between engineers & 'caddies' producing drawings to my managers; however they don't appear to be that bothered.

They seem to be more interested in having as many people as possible to be billable to projects

It would be good if there was a program that let you highlight what drawings you are to issue to the workshop.

Basically a folder is set up on the workshop managers computer.

When the draughtsman is finished his drawings he opens a menu that would be the same kind of menu as the dwg publisher.

The draughter would then select all the drawings that are to be issued. All the drawings are then copied to the designated folder in the workshop managers folder but automatically updating them as read only.

Also a record of the date the drawings were issued for production would be handy.

I think I may have a market there. :D

Every place i have worked except the place im currently at the engineers did no cad work. Plus its more expensive to have engineers draft than drafters, drafters get paid less than engineers.

Aint that the truth!

I think the market you have there steve is called Autodesk Vault (amongst many others) ?

Bummer!!

Guess i'll just have to make my millions elsewhere. :D

I'm not a great organizer however, hurt when drawings are changed.

Using MS Windows XP Pro SP3 I always write protect my drawing(s).

I also add comments to the properties. The comments are shown in my file listing(s).

If the drawing is opened, and edited, the user is required to save with another

name. I usually save as Rev "A", Rev "1", or whatever, etc., etc., and so on.

I don't always list revisions however, if I plot to Adobe, I can red circle or add

a red leader in Adobe pointing to the change(s).

After all said 'n done, I can delete the junque and rename the latest, and write protect again; i.e.: Rev "1" back to Rev "0".

Just my little routine, works for me.

UPDATE: the drawing was that messed up that i gave up and did a

redraw, (It was Quicker!!:shock:)

Now all that's left a a couple of modifications that the engineer said

was gonna do himself.

He had a problem though, couldn't do it right messed up the drawing

again. fortunately i learned from past experience and had a copy on

my hard drive "just in case"

Thank god i got paranoid when he said he was gonna finish it, now i'm

about to finish it with an un-messed version thanks to file backing up.

tell him he finishes nothing, just causes more work and to let you do it...

bin there - done that

Start tracking the time you spend fixing screw ups. When you have enough data - go to the project manager a show them in black and white how much it is costing them in dollars to continue to allow unqualified people to do drafting. They certainly wouldn't let a secretary do design work, screw it up and waste their budget. Given enough money lost they will make changes.

The second thing is I would make the engineer fix his own screw up. He will learn from it. Either he will learn to do it right or he will learn to leave it alone because the price of his possible screw up will be too painful and high for him and his budget to ever touch a drawing.

I feel your pain. Those kind of co-workers should be shot at dawn.

Start tracking the time you spend fixing screw ups. When you have enough data - go to the project manager a show them in black and white how much it is costing them in dollars to continue to allow unqualified people to do drafting. They certainly wouldn't let a secretary do design work, screw it up and waste their budget. Given enough money lost they will make changes.

The second thing is I would make the engineer fix his own screw up. He will learn from it. Either he will learn to do it right or he will learn to leave it alone because the price of his possible screw up will be too painful and high for him and his budget to ever touch a drawing.

I feel your pain. Those kind of co-workers should be shot at dawn.

OR - Just send the "screwer-upper" out on the jobsite to deal with the customer or contractors. He (or she) :wink: will think twice next time before making hasty, minor changes!

Hi,

Is there any way to find out who's accessed and screwed up a drawing in my absence.?

Basically the drawing history?

Years ago I had a boss that thought it was a good idea to have interns working over night to continue on our drawings. I simply copied my files every night and every morning copied over the top of the intern's mess. No one ever noticed or said a thing about it.

Years ago I had a boss that thought it was a good idea to have interns working over night to continue on our drawings. I simply copied my files every night and every morning copied over the top of the intern's mess. No one ever noticed or said a thing about it.

Thats funny.