How do I draw a propeller in 3D?

visith

Usually the propeller blades are complicated 3D shapes. What are your inputs? Do you have a mathematical equation for the surface? Or maybe some cross sections?

For what I've seen, propellers, as stated by fuccaro, are complicated 3D shapes. This is due to the double curvature nature of its blades. You may achieve its complicated form by using the 3D surface drawing commands. I did an exercice inventing my own cortoon_like geometry just to give it a try. I used the "edgesurf" command. You'll need a bit of experience to get it right. After modeling the first half, I did a mirror3d to make it simetrical. After one blade was finaly done, I did a 360

When drawing with 3dsurf take to account the isoplanes, surftab1 and surftab2 system variables. These will define how accurate the curved surfaces will be rendered.

Jose

SURFTAB1 and SURFTAB2 will give the precision of the construction. For better render try to modify the FACETRES system variable

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone and seasons greetings. I searched for this topic on the internet and wound up here.

I followed Jose's advice using edgesurf to create a propeller. You can see it here:

wwwdotlightmypumpdotcom/blade3dotdwg

I am using Acad 2007.

I used thin elliptical sections that were spaced upwards on the z-axis and individually rotated. I connected the edges with a 3dpoly and then egdesurfed the section between ellipses.

I used a cylinder solid as the hub. At this point I would like to trim the connection between the prop root and the cylinder but the union command will not work. Any suggestions?

I am also trying to do a model of a complicated chair.

wwwdotlightmypumpdotcom/my_chair2dotdwg

I created this by first making a polyline of the edge of the chair ( if you are sitting, the edge coresponding to your left side) and then extruding it. I then fiilleted (a fishy term) the edges. Now the problem is how to make the back of the seat narrower than the front. Here is a picture of the chair for more clarity:

wwwdotlightmypumpdotcom/my_chair-picdotjpg

Any suggestions? It's amazing how even a simple chair can be complicated to model correclty in 3D.

And finally, thanks for your patience, can you recommend a good book to help modelling these types of surfaces.

Cheers,

Jacques:D

Welcome in the forum, Jac!

I can't open the drawings because I use AutoCAD 2006. Probable I am not the only one, so I would suggest you to save back the files in 2k file format or so.

Without seing the models, I can just guess; you can not trimm a surface. Can you convert the blades to solids and perform boolean operations?

Now I see. Try to use the THICKEN command (newly introduced in 2007) to convert the surfaces to solids.

About the chair

In the top view add an axis line and two yellow lines to delimit the shape. Use the SLICE command to get rid of the margins. When AutoCAD prompts you for 3 points to define the slicing plane, pick the two ends of a yellow line and enter @0,0,1 for the third point. Repeat the slice for the other side

chair.gif

You will have to remake the fillets

I am using Acad 2007.

...then egdesurfed the section between ellipses.

I would not use obsolete surface commands like edgesurf in r2007 and later. And Thicken will not work on edgesurf created surface.