Favorite AutoCAD Version

CADMASTER1128

When the power finally goes out we'll all be back to pencils/pens, triangles and straightedges. You'll be using your computer and monitor to hold down the vellum or mylar. LOL

When you draw that way, you feel like you are actually drawing. You have to actually think about drawing and do a little math. CAD does everything thing for you.

When you draw that way, you feel like you are actually drawing. You have to actually think about drawing and do a little math. CAD does everything thing for you.

Yes, but at least the drawings will be checked to a greater extent - after all, nobody wants to have to redraw something over and over again - better off getting it right the first time :thumbsup:

EDIT: I shouldn't be encouraging this... there'd be no place for LISP... the LISP equivalent would be a cup of coffee..

EDIT: I shouldn't be encouraging this... there'd be no place for LISP... the LISP equivalent would be a cup of coffee..

Where on earth would Lee Mac without LISP?

• 4 weeks later...
Seems LISP is Lee Mac's Erector Set.

Lee is certainly the go to professor for LISP routines! :geek:

I like the comparison made here! lol

• 1 month later...

R 14

I had a custom menu system that I had written that had everything that I needed and no more.

The GUI is FAR slower than keyboarding commands. All the common commands in my menu had keyboard shortcuts as well.

It was also automated to set up sheets, layers and such almost a decade before it became common inside the program.

When I finally upgraded actual working copy to 2005 and discovered that my menus would not work, I was seriously bummed.

I started writing them in 1991, when I jumped from VersaCAD to AutoCAD.

Hard to believe that it has been almost 20 years ... :cry:

Of course, my first formal education in drafting started in 1963 ... uuuggggghhhh

• 2 weeks later...

the CTRL cycle through objects was definitely more accurate than SHIFT+SPACEBAR (how can i set that one back in 2010??? anyone? plz?)

it was already possible to chamfer a PLINE, ARC with a LINE

there was no messy 3D environment

runs smoother than later versions

• 2 weeks later...
Of course, my first formal education in drafting started in 1963 ... uuuggggghhhh

not to make you feel old or anything, but dang! My mom wasnt even born yet when you started drafting

• 1 month later...

been using autoCAD2004 and just got upgrade to 2010. I didn't like the User Interface and luckly it let you chooses between the workspaces. I switch back to autocad classic right away. hahaha

one thing i like in 2010. the heads up display or Dynamic Input

not to make you feel old or anything, but dang! My mom wasnt even born yet when you started drafting

dang kids ... :)

My kids were 36 a few weeks ago. It is fun to watch them. I swear my daughter complains about her age more than I do mine.

It is all good ... I'm still vertical and breathing!!!!

I started in the drafting adventure back on 1972.

And my first serious use of AutoCAD was with R9, but use, if I remember correctly two previous releases too.

I started in the drafting adventure back on 1972.

And my first serious use of AutoCAD was with R9, but use, if I remember correctly two previous releases too.

Also to add something about my first days using AutoCAD, I remember that no one want it to give it a try for production, and always say it to me, no it is better to draw by hand and took me to convice the first office like three releases later and not well convince, because the office got a pencil plotter and all the corrections were done by hand - like half and half :)

And the same, when I did my thesis all in AutoCAD - the commite simple told me - no way that we are going to accept the drawings done my a machine.... do it by hand.

The good stuff that happens, was that the faculty changed those members, and the new ones were more open mind.... and my thesis was the first in the university that was done in AutoCAD.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I would have said 2007 about a year ago, but I have warmed up to 2010 now.

Don't worry, Autodesk isn't the only one that has messed around with the interface; Microsoft has done it too with Office 2007 and 2010, they changed a lot of things with the ribbon, dropped off the menu button in favor of a green 'File' button that does a lot more than the button did. But it's like by the time you finally become acustomed to one UI, they decide to change it up and make it even more confusing!

But with Autocad, I am happy with 2010 for now. Let's hope they follow Microsoft and lose the application button in favor of a more funtional "File" button.

I still don't believe in the Ribbon. I don't use it and don't know if I will ever fully adopt it.

Did I read that correctly? Are you becoming a dinosaur StyKmaN? LOL

Did I read that correctly? Are you becoming a dinosaur StyKmaN? LOL

You read correctly Mark. I'll just continue to do my CUI hack and continue with my personal customizations and being faster than anyone who uses the Ribbon.

Faster than anyone who uses the Ribbon?

Faster than a speeding bullet?

More powerful than a locomotive?!

Look...up in the sky. It's a bird, it's a plane, no....it's SuperStyk!

Just having some fun with you StyKmaN. Each to his own. Peace out.