3D orbit + scroll Zoom

Tiger

When I use 3D Orbit and try to Zoom via the Scroll wheel, the whole model disappears. If I scroll back one step it comes back so my guess is that the Zoom takes a giant leap!

I've check ZOOMFACTOR, it's set to 60 but it doesn't make a difference if I lower it.

If I right-click while in 3DORBIT and select Perspective - then I can zoom normally, but not when it's set to Parallell.

Help?

Options --> System --> Performance settings

Have a play with the degredation order in there, and possibly even turn some off, depending on your hardware of course.

Turned it off, didn't make a difference. Turned up the "Degrade when FPS falls below", didn't make a difference. Tried unchecking stuff, no difference :(

It's just a wireframe model that I'm orbiting..

Instead of using the 3DORBIT command, why don't you just use the Shift + Middle mouse technique. Hold down shift and your middle mouse, (scroll wheel), button and then orbit around. This gives you a temporary orbit. Once you let go of the middle mouse button, you're back to normal and can zoom in or out. Then go back to Shift + Middle mouse and continue orbiting.

This method is also much faster to get in and out of, since you don't have to type in any commands or hit Esc.

hmm..never knew about that Cad64 .. reminds me of the hassle of going back and forth between Revit and AutoCAD a couple of years ago with the differences in zoom-pan-orbit ... I'll have to try it on monday, thanks mate :)

Ok, I've changed it so I get 3Dorbit whit Shift+middle mouse button - but it's not temporary, I have to hit Esc to exit the Orbit. Can anyone post their shift+middle mouse button command for me? please?

• 2 years later...

If zooming while in 3dforbit (3D Free Orbit) and such commands and your model disappears…. It’s not your fault, its actually not Autodesk’s fault. Windows on the other hand is well… “awesome”. If your having this issue, try switching your AutoCAD window over to your primary display if you’re working with two monitors…. Zoom while you’re in Orbit all day long.

To give credit… http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=73918 :D

Good Luck

• 12 years later...

Had same issue. The problem came from second monitor with HDMI input. For some reason I was able to fix this with other monitor that used DisplayPort input. Not sure why but when I connected my second monitor to PC with cable that in one end (to monitor) had DisplayPort and on other side had DisplayPort to USB type C adaptor (USB C to PC) the problem just disappeared.