why will 2010 execute one routine and not another?

AAONCAD

I have been trying to decipher and update lisp routines from the 90's to be compatible with 2010, but not having much success. would there be a logical explanation as to why this routine will function....

[b][size=4](defun c:26 ()                                                     ;ECN MC26 ADD MTG HOLES TO CENTER (5/6/08)[/size][/b]
[b][size=4](setvar "cmdecho" 0)[/size][/b]
[b][size=4](setq obj (entsel "\nPick Location :"))[/size][/b]
[b][size=4](setq a "MC26" )[/size][/b]
[b][size=4](setq j (strcat a))[/size][/b]
[b][size=4](command "change" obj "" "" "" "" "" "" j))[/size][/b]
(defun c:AM ()                                                     ;FOR MC26 NOTE 'ADD MTG HOLES' (5/6/08)
 (setvar "cmdecho" 0)
 (setq obj (entsel "\nPick Location :"))
 (setq a "ADD MTG HOLES" )
 (setq j (strcat a))
 (command "change" obj "" "" "" "" "" "" j))
(defun c:27 ()                               ;ECN MC27 REV BENDS ADD DECIMALS (6/9/08)
 (setvar "cmdecho" 0)
 (setq obj (entsel "\nPick Location: "))
 (setq a ("MC27" )
 (setq j (strcat a))

and this one will not ...

(defun c:26 () ;ECN MC26 ADD MTG HOLES TO CENTER (5/6/08)

(setvar "cmdecho" 0)

(setq a "MC26" )

(setq j (strcat a))

(defun c:AM () ;FOR MC26 NOTE 'ADD MTG HOLES' (5/6/08)

(setvar "cmdecho" 0)

(setq a "ADD MTG HOLES" )

(setq j (strcat a))

[b][size=4](defun c:27 () ;ECN MC27 REV BENDS ADD DECIMALS (6/9/08)[/size][/b]

[b][size=4](setvar "cmdecho" 0)[/size][/b]

[b][size=4](setq obj (entsel "\nPick Location: "))[/size][/b]

[b][size=4](setq a ("MC27" )[/size][/b]

[b][size=4](setq j (strcat a))[/size][/b]

[b][size=4](command "change" obj "" "" "" "" "" "" j))[/[/size][/b]CODE]

I have tried making alterations in the visual lisp editor, will that prehaps cause corruption to the file?

Your welcome. By the way a better method if you are simply changing text is:

(defun c:[b][color=Red]26[/color][/b] (/ ent)
 (if (setq ent (car(entsel "\nSelect Text: ")))
   (if (wcmatch (cdr (assoc 0 (entget ent))) "*TEXT")
     (entmod (subst (cons 1 [b][color=Red]"MC26"[/color][/b])(assoc 1 (entget ent)) (entget ent)))
     (princ "Selection Not Text.\n"))
   (princ "Nothing Selected.\n"))
 (princ)
 )

And for AM & 27 just copy the code and change the highlighted parts.

My proposed routine:

(defun c:27 (/ ent)
 (if (and (setq ent (car (entsel "\nPick Text: ")))
          (wcmatch (cdr (assoc 0 (entget ent))) "*TEXT"))
   (entmod
     (subst
       (cons 1 "MC27") (assoc 1 (entget ent))
         (entget ent)))
   (princ "\n** Object is not Text **"))
 (princ))

Is much better programming practice and would be much more stable. You should avoid using "(command..." where possible, as this is a slow method and can be troublesome.

Read up on my method here:

http://www.afralisp.net/lispa/lisp18.htm

Thank you for the message AAONCAD, I am happy to help you understand the code that I have posted. I have annotated it the best I can explain, but if you are still confused, just ask.

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]defun[/color][/b] c:27 [b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]/[/color][/b] ent[b][color=RED])[/color][/b]

[i][color=#990099];; Here we are defining the function. We use "(defun c:"[/color][/i]
 [i][color=#990099];; as opposed to just "(defun" as we want the user to be[/color][/i]
 [i][color=#990099];; able to invoke the function from the command line.[/color][/i]
 [i][color=#990099];; In the brackets after the function definition, we are localising[/color][/i]
 [i][color=#990099];; the variables used in the program. This sets their values to nil[/color][/i]
 [i][color=#990099];; as the program is invoked and after the program has completed.[/color][/i]
 [i][color=#990099];; If you read up in the VLIDE help about the function "defun" you[/color][/i]
 [i][color=#990099];; will see the difference between an argument and a variable.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]if[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; IF the following test statement returns True (anything non-nil).[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]and[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; Both the following statements must return true for the IF[/color][/i]
         [i][color=#990099];; Statement to be satisfied.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]setq[/color][/b] ent  [i][color=#990099];; Bound the value of the following to the symbol "ent"[/color][/i]
                [i][color=#990099];; hence making it a variable of the function. And, as[/color][/i]
                [i][color=#990099];; we have declared it in our function definition, "ent"[/color][/i]
                [i][color=#990099];; is known as a "local variable" (as opposed to a "global variable").[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]car[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; Return the first item in the following list...[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]entsel[/color][/b] [b][color=#ff00ff]"\nPick Text: "[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b]

[i][color=#990099];; Entsel prompts the user for a selection and returns a list with[/color][/i]
              [i][color=#990099];; 2 items - the first being the entity name of the selected object,[/color][/i]
              [i][color=#990099];; and the second is the point that was selected (a list of 3 elements).[/color][/i]
              [i][color=#990099];; If the user doesn't pick something, entsel returns nil.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; End CAR[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End SETQ[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]wcmatch[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; We are going to use this function to match two strings using a wildcard.[/color][/i]
               [i][color=#990099];; Read up on this function in the VLIDE help - there is a lot to learn from it.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]cdr[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; We want to get the second item of the following dotted pair.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]assoc[/color][/b] [b][color=#009900]0[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; We are using this to retrieve the list (a dotted pair) with the first[/color][/i]
                   [i][color=#990099];; element of the dotted pair being 0. The zero entry in the entget data list[/color][/i]
                   [i][color=#990099];; is the DXF code for the entity TYPE, which we are retrieving so that we[/color][/i]
                   [i][color=#990099];; can check we have Text![/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]entget[/color][/b] ent[b][color=RED])[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; Retrieve the definition data list for the entity name returned[/color][/i]
                              [i][color=#990099];; from "entsel". This list contains all the information associated with[/color][/i]
                              [i][color=#990099];; the entity selected.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End ASSOC[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End CD[/color][/i]

[b][color=#ff00ff]"*TEXT"[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; This is the String we are using with the "wcmatch" function. WcMatch (Wildcard Match)[/color][/i]
                 [i][color=#990099];; will return true in this instance if the Entity Type ends with "TEXT", hence we will[/color][/i]
                 [i][color=#990099];; allow "MTEXT" and "TEXT" (but also "RTEXT" unfortunately).[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End AND[/color][/i]

[i][color=#990099];; IF the user has both picked an entity AND the entity type returns T in the wildcard match, i.e. it is[/color][/i]
   [i][color=#990099];; either TEXT or MTEXT, then the following statement is evaluated by the IF statement. Otherwise, the[/color][/i]
   [i][color=#990099];; "Else" statement is evaluated (if there is one).[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]entmod[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; Modify the following Definition data list (the list returned from "entget")[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]subst[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; Substitute the following list for every[/color][/i]
             [i][color=#990099];; instance of a list in the Definition Data list.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]cons[/color][/b] [b][color=#009900]1[/color][/b] [b][color=#ff00ff]"MC27"[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; The list to be substituted - this is a dotted pair, as[/color][/i]
                        [i][color=#990099];; "cons" has been used to form a dotted pair from the two[/color][/i]
                        [i][color=#990099];; atoms provided, hence will return: (1 . "MC27").[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]assoc[/color][/b] [b][color=#009900]1[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; Retrieve the dotted pair with 1 as the first element in the provided list.[/color][/i]
                   [i][color=#990099];; The DXF code 1 is the TextString held by the Text/MText Object.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]entget[/color][/b] ent[b][color=RED])[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; The list provided to "assoc" from which the TextString dotted pair[/color][/i]
                              [i][color=#990099];; is retrieved.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End ASSOC[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]entget[/color][/b] ent[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; The List provided to "subst" into which the lists will be substituted[/color][/i]
                    [i][color=#990099];; for all instances (there will be only one in this case) of the list to be[/color][/i]
                    [i][color=#990099];; replaced.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End SUBST[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End ENTMOD[/color][/i]

[i][color=#990099];; IF the test statement provided to the IF function returns nil, then the[/color][/i]
   [i][color=#990099];; following statement, (known as the "Else" statement), is evaluated.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]princ[/color][/b] [b][color=#ff00ff]"\n** Object is not Text **"[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b]  [i][color=#990099];; Print this message to the command line.[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End IF[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED]([/color][/b][b][color=BLUE]princ[/color][/b][b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; Exit Cleanly (Hence suppress the last return of the previous function[/color][/i]
       [i][color=#990099];; evaluated.) Princ on its own will return a "null" character, and hence[/color][/i]
       [i][color=#990099];; will have no return (as an aside, "prin1" could also be used).[/color][/i]

[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] [i][color=#990099];; End DEFUN[/color][/i]

Also, if anyone else feels that I have missed something, feel free to chime in.

Regards,

Lee