Dimension setting

Big Mike

Is there a setting or variable so that I can make my dimensions (lines, arrows etc.) immune to object snap?

I'm used to them being like that in Autocad Mechanical so I don't know if this is a Mechanical option or if I can do it in plain Autocad. I've stopped using Mechanical until they put out a patch to fix some of the bugs. (Version 2006)

I've searched but I can't find what I'm looking for.

Another quesiton...is there a dimalign command or lisp for plain Autocad? I mainly use Mechanical for the extra dimensioning capabilities, AMdimalign being one of my most used commands...and one that I sorely miss.

• 12 years later...

Much quicker to simply type dimspace. Is a LISP program really necessary to execute one command.

As far as snap points in dimensions... see image below. Command = OPTIONS > Drafting tab.

Further help... Command = OSNAP then uncheck Node. That way you wont get dimensions associated to each other instead of the objects you are dimensioning.

Of course, if you use points, as in the command DIVIDE, you will have to turn Node back on in order to snap to them.

dims.jpg

Is there a setting or variable so that I can make my dimensions (lines, arrows etc.) immune to object snap?

I'm used to them being like that in Autocad Mechanical so I don't know if this is a Mechanical option or if I can do it in plain Autocad. I've stopped using Mechanical until they put out a patch to fix some of the bugs. (Version 2006)

I've searched but I can't find what I'm looking for.

Another quesiton...is there a dimalign command or lisp for plain Autocad? I mainly use Mechanical for the extra dimensioning capabilities, AMdimalign being one of my most used commands...and one that I sorely miss.

How would you like the dimensions aligned?

When I want my dims to be spaced equally, I simply draw a rectangle around the extents of the object(s) I want to dimension, then offset the rectangle by the same distance I want my dims to space out equally, a number of times. Yup, then once I apply a dimension I click it onto one side of the rectangle at the distance needed. Erase the rectangles. Takes a couple seconds but faster than DIMSPACE since it prepares all 4 sides at once, and no going back except to erase the rectangles.

Like this... cheeze that's pretty dim. Hope you can see it on your screen.

space.jpg