• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joyyoj

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I closed ac, dropped all the files into the font folder, launched ac and went into my drawing to edit the text and the Multiline text editor does not show the new fonts.

I read it, when I open text style box the style name is standard I don't know what you mean I guess. I have never had this much trouble before. I download fonts from other sites and have them in my list so if you can talk me thru this I would appr.

I'm guessing you are a real newcomer to AutoCAD. AutoCAD is not like other Windows based programs. The user has to use the STYLE command to load a font. So get your fingers down to the keyboard and type the word STYLE or pick it from the menu bar at the top of your screen (see Draw > Text). I'm guessing that after the STYLE command dialog box opens you'll be needing additional help?

Now create a New style.

Start by clicking on the New button on the right hand side.

Give your new style a name.

Then click the OK button.

NewTextStyle1.PNG

Your new style should now be listed on the left.

Use the black down-pointing arrow, to the right of where the Font Name is displayed, to scroll through the available fonts and pick the one you want. In my example I picked a font (not one that ships with AutoCAD) called ufroman4. Click on the button Set Current and answer Yes to the question in the pop up screen. Got all that?

NewTextStyle2.PNG

After you've done that last step above Close the TextStyle dialog window and test your new font.

I'm guessing your next question is going to be about MultiLine Text.

How many tutorials have you gone through here at CADTutor or at another AutoCAD related help site?

You mean Release 13 or AutoCAD 2013?

This method has been around longer than you have been alive most likely. Fonts have never magically loaded themselves in AutoCAD unless an enterprising guru worked it all out using a custom lisp routine.

I posted all the steps already. You certainly know how to be selective in what you read.

Yes release 13. At that same time I was also taking CadKey, and Cadkey solids. From there I took ProE and trying to learn 4 programs at once was a bit challenging. My application for AutoCad was a bit unusual and really had no need for using new fonts. I would receive Catia files from Auto makers and create films of Auto appliques. I used their files and never had to add text or change text, So please excuse my ignorance. As far as other fonts, really I never had to do all this, so I don't know what to tell you. I also use solidworks and when you use one program more than another, it can be confusing.

I skipped Release 13 (unlucky number anyway). Release 14 was one of the best releases ever.

Well AutoCAD does not go out of its way to make things as effortless as some would like. I remember CadKey. It was developed in my home state so you are probably a bit older than I first thought.

Well, did you finally get what you needed?

when I signed up for the class I bought the book for v13 and two weeks into the class we got 14. I was the only female in the class and I helped many of the men. I had cadkey for about 4 months so some of it was easy but backwards. I went back and read the links you posted, not much info, but I think I have figured it out. in the text style you open the pull down in font name, choose one and click apply? Thanks for you help. I now use AutoCad for designing digitized quilting using poly lines and creating patterns. So i am not a typical user.

Not much info? Really? Screenshots WITH directions! You are one tough customer.

Quilting is not something I'm likely to be doing any time soon. Hiking, motorcycling, gardening and reading are more my style.

wow, if there is all of that, I never saw it. that sure would have been helpful. The stuff i saw was this. How to install a new font in AutoCAD?

A - answer AutoCAD supports two basic types of fonts - a) its own native SHX fonts and b) Windows system TTF (TrueType) fonts.

a) A SHX font is installed just by copying the respective .SHX file into the AutoCAD Fonts folder - e.g. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\Fonts. AutoCAD also support PostScript fonts but PostScript fonts (.PFB) have to be first compiled to SHX using the COMPILE command.

b) A TrueType font (.TTF) cannot be added to AutoCAD just by copying - this Windows system font has to be installed into Windows. In the "Windows Control Panels" (WinXP/Vista) choose Fonts and in the File menu select Install new font. In Windows 7/8/10 just drag the TTF file to this Fonts window or right-click on the TTF file and choose Install.

After that you can use the new font in the AutoCAD STYLE dialog.

Type OPTIONS at the command line and follow these four steps indicated in the screenshot to find the font folder for AutoCAD. Place all the files in this directory by browsing to this location in Windows Explorer. Do not place them in a folder and do not place the ZIP file here. Drag/drop all of the files contained within the ZIP file into this folder only.

Now, restart AutoCAD if you have it opened. Now all the fonts will be available for you to create a new Text Style. Beyond this help I do not think we can do anything else to help you. This is as basic as it gets.

xirSaIS.png