Xref In Greyscale

nocturne00

Hi guys;

Im working on drawings which basically rely on xref for ease of work in terms of it always being updated; eg road layouts, pipe layouts, Land Topo.

on presentation of development plan drawings there are certain portions that needs to be in greyscale to put emphasis on an xref whose lines are at 100% screening. vice versa for the other xrefs in terms of emphasis for other sheets.

Is there a way to present in greyscale entire xrefs without changing the colors of the layers in the xref itself?

the only solution i do is to make a separate xref drawing of road, pipe layout and structure which is entirely on a single color i setup on 80% screening; so noob :oops: ^_^

there is a way I browsed in the forums but it uses autolisp.

I just wanted to know if autolisp is the only way to make this happen :P

TIA

If the color of the entities in the xref are 'bylayer'...

Layer Manager > use the tree to filter the xref layers

Select all the xref layers (Ctlr+A)

Change the color to grey.

If you want the colors to remain grey, set Visretain =1

j1.jpg

i dont really use STB, im more on the CTB.

Great help seifer; thanks for the help. it saves me a lot of time instead of making new greyscaled xrefs...^_^

I thought of this method once but never tried it thinking that when i reload the xref, all colors will revert to its original :P

but I really thought there was a command for this ^_^

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

take a look at that variable

VISRETAIN

this system variable controls the properties of xref-dependent layers

0 ) Dont save the layer properties

1 ) Save the layer properties

not exactly what I was lookin for,

I already use visretain, visretain is concerned with saving or not saving any changes made to xref layers.

the previuos post is what im currently using to manipulate greyscaling of the xref.

• 9 years later...

You need a period after the closing quote, even though it is used in an incomplete sentence.

Thread necromancy is universally considered bad form in internet forums. It smacks of someone merely after 'face time'.

A lot of 10 year old issues have been solved or can easily be worked around with constantly evolving software. With the current version of AutoCAD you can "Xref In Greyscale" even if nothing in the Xref is set ByColor.

Threads that haven't been active in over two years should automatically be closed to new postings.

..Threads that haven't been active in over two years should automatically be closed to new postings.

No. We are talking Autodesk / AutoCAd developments here.. LOL that is a whole other pace.

• 3 years later...
On 10/29/2017 at 11:10 AM, tombu said:

With the current version of AutoCAD you can "Xref In Greyscale" even if nothing in the Xref is set ByColor.

How do i do this, where is this option, and does it function in model space or just plotting

6 hours ago, ollydoyle@hotmail.com said:

How do i do this, where is this option, and does it function in model space or just plotting

With the XREFOVERRIDE (System Variable) set to 1 the visual properties of the objects on the external reference drawing are set to ByLayer and every external reference layer can have its own set of layer overrides allowing you to set the xref layers to whatever properties you want like changing color.