• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• tzframpton

• rkmcswain

• ReMark

Danny is right, there are more and more software programs incorporating the ribbon as they release new versions. So I believe we should get used to working with it or get left behind. Just think of the first time you used AutoCAD... you had to get used to it then... so why not now?

However, if you choose, there is a button on the lower right of the screen "Workspace Switching". Click that and you can opt to work in AutoCAD Classic.

Danny is right, there are more and more software programs incorporating the ribbon as they release new versions. So I believe we should get used to working with it or get left behind. Just think of the first time you used AutoCAD... you had to get used to it then... so why not now?

However, if you choose, there is a button on the lower right of the screen "Workspace Switching". Click that and you can opt to work in AutoCAD Classic.

I think the whole CHANGE is the issue, ya ever work with an old school CAD operator, stubborn as mules, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Which I kind of agree with. However the world and technology is ever evolving, so I agree what you said "get used to it or eventally you will get left behind". Sooner or later it will be like taking an old dwg from 14 or older and open it in a later version, everything changed due to upgrades over the years, text is all off center no attibutes, line types etc. It all boils down to marketing, these companys (Autodesk Bentley Intergraph) don't want you to buy one version for life, they will make you have to upgrade one way or another.

Ok how can you prove this as a fact, not an opinion a fact

1st off I'm a keyboard junkie. My brain telling my fingers to hit a key is faster than my eyes scanning a huge row of icons organized by "tabs". The ribbon takes a one keystroke, or one icon click and turns it into two, three, sometimes four button click process. Then, the Ribbon is 120px high. Span that across all 1650px of my screen and that's 38 square inches of lost screen realestate. Obstructive isn't even the word. If those aren't facts I don't know what is.

The Ribbon sucks for fast drafters that mean serious business, like myself. It's great for beginners. 8)

The Ribbon sucks for fast drafters that mean serious business, like myself. It's great for beginners. 8)

Ok that makes sense, however take this into consideration my Quote:

Sooner or later it will be like taking an old dwg from 14 or older and open it in a later version, everything changed due to upgrades over the years, text is all off center no attributes, line types etc. It all boils down to marketing, these companies (Autodesk Bentley Intergraph) don't want you to buy one version for life, they will make you have to upgrade one way or another

Than the experienced will be the beginners. :D

I think me and you are talking about two different things here. You're talking about marketing and the push for a type of interface. I'm just saying it's a fact that it is obstructive and hinders performance.

That's all. :)

I think me and you are talking about two different things here. You're talking about marketing and the push for a type of interface. I'm just saying it's a fact that it is obstructive and hinders performance.

The point I was trying to make was , I do agree with you, however designers need to use the ribbon or at least get an idea how a ribbon based interface works or down the line they will, have to ... Kind of leave the board (of sorts) and learn a whole new way or doing things:)

Well IMO...I have been working with the 2010 for a few weeks and I can tell I am faster with my command line and buttons.

BUT...you cant tell....once we get used to it we may not notice the difference. Its just that we have been wotking with the command line, menus and buttons since r12 (funny no one eveer talks about the disaster r13 was..LOL).

Well IMO...I have been working with the 2010 for a few weeks and I can tell I am faster with my command line and buttons.

BUT...you cant tell....once we get used to it we may not notice the difference. Its just that we have been wotking with the command line, menus and buttons since r12 (funny no one eveer talks about the disaster r13 was..LOL).

Command line is faster - period.

Fact.

End of chapter.

Book is closed. haha :)

If you customize the Ribbon (create your own Tabs/Panels) you'll get better functionality out of it. Sometimes when using the standard Ribbon I find it takes too many clicks/picks to accomplish a series of rather straightforward taks.

I have an old computer (I honestly beleive it has valves in it :) ) and the ribbon slowed it down far too much when loading and switching between the different panels so I had to go back to classic view. Best thing I've ever done! Even with two lines of icons at the top and one left and right it feels like there is more space for the drawing.

However I did find the ribbon was helpful to a point but I only used it as I've been trialling 2010LT before our department gets it and I wanted to see how it worked so I could help people when we upgrade, personally I think it's a bit gimicky and a case of change for the sake of change. I will be recomending people people use the classic view.

Prior to using 2010 I had all of my commands on right click menus and used my keyboard for the regular commands which I thought was considerably faster and I had my entire pokey 17" (no expense spared for the technical dept.) screen to see the drawing!

Than the experienced will be the beginners. :D

That is a good point. When us "experienced" users started on R12, I'm sure the people who had been using AutoCAD since it's inception thought "there is no way I need all these dialog boxes" and "I'll never run AutoCAD in Windows"....

Generally, everyone is most comfortable with whatever they learned on, and that goes for all sorts of things in life, not just software..

Today's AutoCAD newbies will be tomorrows experienced users who will have only known the ribbon...

Comon McSwain, you gotta back me up a little with the Command Line interface. Customize a PGP file, add some custom Lisp files that utilize commands better, and you can be far faster than the Ribbon. :wink:

I use the command line at the beginning when I get a new updated version. It helps to get things done. However, I also spend a little extra time here and there getting to know the new interface. And before I know it, it will all be second nature.

Granted, the ribbon was a drastic change... but, all I am saying is just give it time and make a little effort. Before you know it, none of this will be a big deal.

Comon McSwain, you gotta back me up a little with the Command Line interface. Customize a PGP file, add some custom Lisp files that utilize commands better, and you can be far faster than the Ribbon. :wink:

I don't think anyone is in disagreement with you (I can speak for myself anyway). All I was saying is the RIBBON interface is eventually going to be the standard interface. We will all be pissed and complain, however THE RIBBON is coming

I don't think anyone is in disagreement with you (I can speak for myself anyway). All I was saying is the RIBBON interface is eventually going to be the standard interface. We will all be pissed and complain, however THE RIBBON is coming

How do you know? Have you seen the polls and the complaints about the Ribbon over at the AUGI forums?? Huge dislikes over there. Not saying that Autodesk is gonna change it back just because, but there are a huge amount of people over there that have reverted back - even in Revit - because they can't stand it.