ACAD 2010....and that Ribbon

Currahee

How do you know? Have you seen the polls and the complaints about the Ribbon over at the AUGI forums?? Huge dislikes over there. Not saying that Autodesk is gonna change it back just because, but there are a huge amount of people over there that have reverted back - even in Revit - because they can't stand it.

All complaints are coming from drafters. All modeling programs are all ribbon based, The money is in CGI (video games movies commercials)

Obviously I can't predict what Autodesk will do in the future, however Synergis comes to my work monthly for seminars, lunch & learns and they are pushing Ribbon based. They hear your complaints but, It seems they are going full steam ahead with the ribbon.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• tzframpton

• rkmcswain

• ReMark

All complaints are coming from drafters. All modeling programs are all ribbon based, The money is in CGI (video games movies commercials)

Obviously I can't predict what Autodesk will do in the future, however Synergis comes to my work monthly for seminars, lunch & learns and they are pushing Ribbon based. They hear your complaints but, It seems they are going full steam ahead with the ribbon.

Well Duh, all complaints are coming from drafters because CGI programs are not drafting tools. AutoCAD is. Revit.... kinda is.

Money in games, movies, and commercials? I'd like to think that AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor/Solidworks based platforms FAR outweigh sales and demands, since these programs are primarily used in everything related to construction (land, roads/streets, residential/commercial buildings and all interior work, electrical engineering, micro-processing & electronics, manufacturing, machinery, etc) as well as general production for goods in HUGE areas other than "entertainment" (games, movies, & commercials).

I'm just simply stating - a large number of AUGI guys do not like the Ribbon that use AutoCAD & Revit. It's definitely usable, and can be quite efficient up to a certain degree. But I am a firm believer in the Command Line interface, with "small" icons instead of cool huge icons mixed with cool little icons, that have rolling flyouts, and tabs, and any other "organization masterpiece" that makes you have so many nested mouse clicks to get to ONE FREAKING COMMAND. It's God awful when you really dig deep into it.

It works, and it works well for some people. But I have been complimented time and time again for how fast I can work when co-workers, supervisors, and clients look over my shoulder. I think deep into my own work efficiency and gave the Ribbon a shot. Not happening. Sorry. :)

To conclude, I guess you know something I don't about the Ribbon. You seem to give it way more credit than everyone else. :lol:

I work with alot of 3d applications, where the ribbon is pretty much standard. Besides I like the challenge of a new interface. They don't call it work for nothing :D Have a great weekend all. I'm signing off.

I work with alot of 3d applications, where the ribbon is pretty much standard. Besides I like the challenge of a new interface. They don't call it work for nothing :D Have a great weekend all. I'm signing off.

U2 Danny have a good one

Comon McSwain, you gotta back me up a little with the Command Line interface. Customize a PGP file, add some custom Lisp files that utilize commands better, and you can be far faster than the Ribbon. :wink:

I agree, it's faster for you, me, and probably the majority of users. But in 5-10 years, the users who have started today, will be just as fast on the Ribbon.

The guys who were using digitizer tablets with the templates said the same thing 15 years ago -- "there is nothing faster than one hand on the puck and the other on the keyboard", but show me someone still using a digitizer tablet today..

I don't see the command line going away, but the Ribbon is here to stay. Autodesk is too deep in bed with Microsoft to turn around now.

Everyone wanted the CUI to go away when it came out 4+ years ago, but it's still here.

The only thing I can think of that Autodesk took away due to customer revolt was the Today Window...

I agree, it's faster for you, me, and probably the majority of users. But in 5-10 years, the users who have started today, will be just as fast on the Ribbon.

The guys who were using digitizer tablets with the templates said the same thing 15 years ago -- "there is nothing faster than one hand on the puck and the other on the keyboard", but show me someone still using a digitizer tablet today..

I don't see the command line going away, but the Ribbon is here to stay. Autodesk is too deep in bed with Microsoft to turn around now.

Everyone wanted the CUI to go away when it came out 4+ years ago, but it's still here.

The only thing I can think of that Autodesk took away due to customer revolt was the Today Window...

Man McSwain I had forgot all about how much of a controversy the phasing out of the digitizer was with the old timers when I was coming along around when r10-12 came along

The mouse/keyboard is the same concept but different input device, correct? I'm not familiar with the Tablet because it's before my time, but still - same procedure right?

It's kinda like playing a 1st person shooter game on the computer vs. on a console unit with a gamepad such as Xbox 360 - Nobody can deny that the keyboard/mouse combination is gonna be more efficient. You can do well with a gamepad, but it just simply does not compare.

Up until a month ago I was still using a digitizer. What I liked about it was that the pointing area was about 4x3. The other thing I liked was that all my P&ID symbols were just one pick away. I've since developed a tool palette for my symbols. Anyone interested in a Calcomp DrawingBoard III tablet and 16-button puck? Can be yours for the cost of the postage to mail them to you!

The mouse/keyboard is the same concept but different input device, correct? I'm not familiar with the Tablet because it's before my time, but still - same procedure right?

The tablet was sort of like an electronic grid, and how it was divided up was up to the user. Here is a the stock layout --> http://a.imagehost.org/0356/Tablet_OVerlay_3.png

AutoCAD shipped with a plastic template that laid on top of the digitizer and it corresponded to the tablet section of "ACAD.MNU". Each square on the template was tied to a command. So you could initiate just about any command with a one-button pick (and many digitizers had 16 buttons, for even more customization)

Up until 2010, I think the TABLET.DWG still shipped with AutoCAD. Now they are available online ( http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-samples )

I used one for a while with R13, but mainly because the puck was wireless, and wireless mice were N/A back in 1996 (or they were very expensive)

We occasionally digitized maps too, and it was easy enough to switch the function from command entry to digitizer.

All of the above it based on my poor memory too, so.....

I've got one (or maybe two) also. I'm keeping one for historical reasons... :lol:

Maybe we can add the tablets to our virtual museum. First I'll have the clean off the dust and cat hairs!:lol:

My first tablet was a 24x36 Summagraphics. I worked briefly for a company that had a drafting table-size digitizer. Used to great for digitizing aerial mapping.

OK as you can see...I have got all my buttons and toolbars where I want them and saved them (without the Ribbon....after what I thought was going to be a good review) in my "workspaces". Now my question is how can I back this up just in case something happens to my pc, I wont have to go thru this process again. Will these settings be buried within "Documents and Settings" like all other windows settings?

desk.jpg

...how can I back this up just in case something happens to my pc, I wont have to go thru this process again. Will these settings be buried within "Documents and Settings" like all other windows settings?

Workspaces are stored in the main CUI file, which can live where ever you want it to.

Workspaces are stored in the main CUI file, which can live where ever you want it to.

So lets say I save/backup this CUI file then have to format or replace my harddrive...then all I would have to do is replace the CUI file(with the saved one) and my settings would go back the way I had them?

Has anyone else had problems bringing their old cui files into 2010?

When I first had 2010LT installed I used the migration wizard to bring in my CUIs which I have been working with since 2005 and they kept crashing my machine. I wound up rebuilding it manually so it wasn't a massive problem just a pain.

So lets say I save/backup this CUI file then have to format or replace my harddrive...then all I would have to do is replace the CUI file(with the saved one) and my settings would go back the way I had them?

It depends on how you define "settings".

The contents of the menu and the workspaces are inside the CUI file.

However, it's possible to reference external files like images for icons, so you would need to grab these icons also.

Keeping all your custom files in one place like I have outlined here makes it a lot easier. http://cadpanacea.com/node/34

OK..I have searched my whole drive and 2010 (nor 2007 or 2006) does not have a *.CUI file. I found my ADT 2006 and ADT 2004 file but not the others. Anyone have any idea where this sucker is buried?

It depends on how you define "settings".

The contents of the menu and the workspaces are inside the CUI file.

However, it's possible to reference external files like images for icons, so you would need to grab these icons also.

Keeping all your custom files in one place like I have outlined here makes it a lot easier. http://cadpanacea.com/node/34

Thanks for that link McSwain...as soon as I can locate this cui file I will do this

The programs cannot operate without a CUI file so they have to be there. Did you do a wild-card search (*.cui) and start it in the root (C:\) directory?

YEP....EXACTLY