• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• tzframpton

• rkmcswain

• ReMark

The programs cannot operate without a CUI file so they have to be there. Did you do a wild-card search (*.cui) and start it in the root (C:\) directory?

ok,,,I found them for my 06 and 07 but not my 2010 by looking in hidden folders

Open the program and at the command line type (findfile"acad.cui"). It should respond with the path to the file.

Command: findfile"acad.cui"

Unknown command "FINDFILE"ACAD.CUI"". Press F1 for help.

Command: findfile"acad.cui"

Unknown command "FINDFILE"ACAD.CUI"". Press F1 for help.

No. Findfile is a lisp function and must be enclosed by parenthesis, like ReMark had it...

(findfile "acad.cuix")

Although this will not necessarily tell you where your menu file is. (findfile) only reports the first file it finds in the support file search path. There is no guarantee this will be "your" menu file.

By default, "acad.cuix" is stored at %appdata%\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010\R18.0\enu\Support

To find the exact location of your main menu, type in MENUNAME at the AutoCAD command prompt -or- open the CUI, highlight your main menu in the left pane, then the filename will be displayed in the right pane.

No. Findfile is a lisp function and must be enclosed by parenthesis, like ReMark had it...

(findfile "acad.cuix")

Although this will not necessarily tell you where your menu file is. (findfile) only reports the first file it finds in the support file search path. There is no guarantee this will be "your" menu file.

By default, "acad.cuix" is stored at %appdata%\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010\R18.0\enu\Support

To find the exact location of your main menu, type in MENUNAME at the AutoCAD command prompt -or- open the CUI, highlight your main menu in the left pane, then the filename will be displayed in the right pane.

I will try this when I get back from lunch....

Thanks so much

• 2 months later...

Hey R e M a r k (as in "Hey A b b o t t!") you are exactly right sir. At first I did not like the ribbon. Now it is my "friend". The ability to customize on the "fly" in small incremental changes is great. No more reloading .mnu files to be compiled (sometimes errors were hard to find). You can't customize Office ribbons as best I can determine. Be grateful that AutoDesk allowed us to do so. Remember (and carefully) nothing is unchangeable in the ribbon. Add, move, create new, re-arrange, delete, you name it. I had not appreciated myself in how much I had customized Autocad since starting out in 1985. I just kept customizing my menu (.mnu) over the years without realizing how much I done. At first the Ribbon customization seemed like to big a job. But over the last month, I have everything I want and more. Of recent, I became a believer in ToolPalettes. No more legacy tile image menus for me! I can't wait to see what AutoDesk comes up with next. As for me, I always wanted one of those giant touch screen coffee table computers I saw a while back. I once saw a drafting table with a touch screen imbedded in the surface. You make your drawings with a "pen" and a regular parallel bar and triangles and templates.

I can see how that failed.

Does anyone else find that the ribbon slows their machines down? When I had 2009 I tried using the ribbon and was getting on with it but it took longer in comparison to 08LT to load the programme and drawings and I had many more crashes.

I then went to AutoCAD classic and things improved immeasurably I can't remember the last time it crashed and I found that I was working quicker than with the ribbon.

I will admit that my company doesn't buy CAD machines just the best value ones that Dell are selling that week. My machine 4 year old P4 only got replaced through 'dead mans boots' after the last set of redundancies and that was only with a first gen dual core.

Given that you have 1GB RAM and an onboard (integrated) graphics chip I can see why the Ribbon might slow you down. It's like trying to run an eight cylinder car on three cylinders.

1st off I'm a keyboard junkie. My brain telling my fingers to hit a key is faster than my eyes scanning a huge row of icons organized by "tabs". The ribbon takes a one keystroke, or one icon click and turns it into two, three, sometimes four button click process. Then, the Ribbon is 120px high. Span that across all 1650px of my screen and that's 38 square inches of lost screen real estate. Obstructive isn't even the word. If those aren't facts I don't know what is.

The Ribbon sucks for fast drafters that mean serious business, like myself. It's great for beginners. 8)

100% ACCURATE!!!!!

Today's AutoCAD newbies will be tomorrows experienced users who will have only known the ribbon...

and they will be worse off because of it...

I'll be 80 yrs old and be able to draft faster/ better from the keyboard after 30years of not touching it than the RIBBON generation.

The keyboard is THE FASTEST way to draft in AutoCAD. PERIOD!!! Especially when you use LISP to eliminate unnecessary steps & keystrokes.

8)

Command line is faster - period.

Fact.

End of chapter.

Book is closed. haha :)

:thumbsup:

The keyboard is THE FASTEST way to draft in AutoCAD. PERIOD!!!
It is, only if you customize the PGP file, use custom Lisp routines to speed up executing certain commands/programs, and utilize brainpower to memorize all the changes made. THEN it's faster. 8)

It is, only if you customize the PGP file, use custom Lisp routines to speed up executing certain commands/programs, and utilize brainpower to memorize all the changes made. THEN it's faster. 8)

well... I really don't find much need in customizing the PGP file - I only run a few commands out of there - I find LISP a better tool as there is much more control... and as for your "brainpower" comment - agreed, but shouldn't that be part of your general work habit fundamentals anyway????

o:)

and as for your "brainpower" comment - agreed, but shouldn't that be part of your general work habit fundamentals anyway????
It should but it's amazing that some people don't. I guess it's relative to how much CAD your job actually calls for, as well as how passionate you are about learning and using the program.