Converting from PDF

simms32

Does anyone know of a program that will convert PDFs back to their original format?

I have a number of plans provided for a project that i need to work on but they are PDFs and i cannot get hold of the originals to make changes. The original files are possibly psds or illustrator format and if i cannot get them converted i'll have to start again from scratch. I have done an internet search and none of the available software seems to cover conversion back to original format, parhaps because this is not possible?

Thank you.

not possible because it's impossible to tell from a PDF file what the original format was.

I fthey won't provide the original files in a useable format send them a bill for redrawing all the PDF's in CAD from scratch.... that may nudge them a bit

What he said ^

if your tender for the work did not include for redrawing all the drawings, raise a variation, or request the drawings in a workable format

it may be that a previous contractor of theirs refused to supply dwg files - but that's not your problem. You're happy to go either route but not to be out of pocket for it :wink:

Right - it's not really possible.

The PDF is just a plot file. It contains just enough information from which to create a paper plot. Actually, some may contain a bit more like layers but generally speaking you are looking at vectors and rasters. No drawing intelligence at all.

If all you needed was the vectors and rasters, there are applications to get that for you. We use one all the time to import certain detail sheets into CAD.

Also something else that no one else touched on. When someone sends a PDF with a larger sheet size, plotters can't scale correctly on Adobe Reader. *******s, you have to purchase Acrobat Pro in order to print Architectural Sizes.

I always ask for DWG files, and most of the time I get them. If they don't send (refuse, etc.) and I need to edit or add to their drawings, I tell them they will be charged for me to recreate the work for my work.

Some people are weird about their drawings.

some people HAVE to be weird about their drawings!

a company I worked for was accused of causing a significant fire in a factory. The photo's I saw of the charred remains of the control gear cabinets were shocking

I was tasked with rummaging out some ancient drawings to prove that our company had designed the system so it worked safely, but at a later date the motors on the plant had been up-rated without any cable calcs taking place so the cabling wasn't replaced at the same time

how easy would it have been for a client to alter our drawings (or send them to a third party) and claim we were at fault?

btw - we usually supplied dwgs as per client requirements, but I'm just highlighting the reasons why some companies are super careful :wink:

oh, and by the way, let's keep the language appropriate for work and school please Mr Bucket - the swear filter is only a back up system

oh, and by the way, let's keep the language appropriate for work and school please Mr Bucket - the swear filter is only a back up system

Sorry, didn't realize that bast... was a bad word.:oops:

some people HAVE to be weird about their drawings!

a company I worked for was accused of causing a significant fire in a factory. The photo's I saw of the charred remains of the control gear cabinets were shocking

I was tasked with rummaging out some ancient drawings to prove that our company had designed the system so it worked safely, but at a later date the motors on the plant had been up-rated without any cable calcs taking place so the cabling wasn't replaced at the same time

how easy would it have been for a client to alter our drawings (or send them to a third party) and claim we were at fault?

btw - we usually supplied dwgs as per client requirements, but I'm just highlighting the reasons why some companies are super careful :wink:

As far as a build or production of something that another company is responsible for, that is true. But at the same time, the company is also responsible for accepting plans from another source.

We are currently dealing with a mantle company who custom casts very expensive products for very expensive projects. They will not release any drawings for us to put them into a drawing. On top of that, they said if they ever get a drawing with a "fake" drawing not issued from them, they will charge extra to make sure none of their drawings were "contaminated". Makes me laugh, but I can't blame them.

right - so how does that work with keeping your documentation up to date? :?

We double and triple check the dimensions they have for the mantle. Then we just "block" it out in wait of the drawings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Csoft's WisImage Pro can load & convert a PDF. The problem is that most PDF have a DPI of only 75, where most raster editing requires at least 300DPI to have a good crack at it. WiseImage PRO 11 has recently been released & is able to work on PDF files.

• 4 weeks later...

While I dont think its possible to tell what the original format of a PDF is if you know what it should be depending on the program you may be able to open it up in that program and save it as a native file again.

To get a PDF back to a PSD I right click the file and select open with Photoshop. It then ask you which pages you wish to open so you click (or ctrl for multiples) the pages you need.

You may find it puts all the content straight onto a transparent bk (checked squares) so just creat a new layer behind the content and make it white or whatever color save as a psd an tada you have it back in its native format.

Unfortunately minus any useful layers.