Is it possible to do 3D Text?

spursnutter

the easiest way i found was to use the regular text command, not m-text. then just type everything right click go properties and you will see a thickness tab which is set to 0, just give it a height and it extrudes itself.

the easiest way i found was to use the regular text command, not m-text. then just type everything right click go properties and you will see a thickness tab which is set to 0, just give it a height and it extrudes itself.

Without Exploding the text? Can you explain exactly how this works? :?

Without Exploding the text? Can you explain exactly how this works? :?

sure.

i just type text in the command line (not m text) then type what you want to type. and hit ok. then you just click on the text once go properties and you will see a thickness box, and you pretty much just have to give it a number and it works. i don't see the thickness option in mtext for some reason tho. but once you give it thickness 3d orbit around it and you will see the thickness. i usually use it when i add text to one of my building renders.

I still don't understand how you're giving a thickness to text without Exploding it first? As you can see in the screenshot below, I have created a piece of text and given it a thickness, as you suggested. But the text does not change. So what's your secret?

TEXTEXTRUDE.jpg

hmm i just tried it with a different text's styles and it doesn't show. it seems to only show on a few text styles, which is weird. sorry for the confusion, but when ever i render all i have to do is give it thickness like that and the text shows. weird. ddd.jpg

Thanks J, I learn't something new today,

Cad64 looks like the problem lies with a truetype font, ARIAL doesn't extrude with a thickness change but a shx. like ROMANS does..

Thanks J, I learn't something new today,

Cad64 looks like the problem lies with a truetype font, ARIAL doesn't extrude with a thickness change but a shx. like ROMANS does..

thanks for explaining that, because i had no idea why some worked and some didn't haha.

Yah, that makes sense. I didn't consider shx fonts because I never work with them and just don't really see a use for them in 3D. I always use true type fonts whenever I work with text because true types have some width to them and they can be used for creating signs or for subtracting from a solid. Shx fonts are just skinny line text and not very useful in my opinion.

But, they do extrude, so there ya go. :wink:

• 1 month later...

hey dude, here is a lisp routine that creates and edits 3d-text with ease... save it to your computer and drag and drop into your dwg and away you go...

last updated yesterday to work on any version autocad by the origionator of this lisp... great guy!!!:shock:

3DText.zip

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

My $0.05 I use text 2 geometry which makes plines etc you can squish etc very simple here is a project we just did all in stainless steel look closely its dimmed and 3d

ScreenShotarts.jpg

• 3 weeks later...