adding a label to existing block

reyems

I do not have a lot of experience with using blocks, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something really basic here. I received a drawing with existing blocks included. The creator then placed mtext over the top of each block to label them. So, if I move a block I must also move the mtext with it. While this is not a huge problem (using a window) I thought if I added a label to each block using an attribute through the block editor, I could then move blocks by picking a block on it's own. The problem is that when I add the attribute and close out and save the updated block, the attribute / label will not appear.

When defining the attribute I chose "constant" for mode, I have double checked to make sure the layer is on, I have tried both battman and attsyn...nothing makes the text appear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

I'm not sure if you can get out of this with LT.

using full AutoCAD I would BEDIT the block to add my ATTDEF and then ATTSYNC the block and all existing blocks would update with the additional attribute.

I don't think you have ATTSYNC using LT though. The good news is that all future insertions of that block should have the attribute but I'm not sure you can update existing ones.

I can type attsync into the command line and comes up by asking "Enter an option [?/Name/Select]

When you save the block, save it to a file. Once you have your new block with the added attribute, insert a new instance of the block, but when you do so, don't select the block name from the drop down list that you are given. Click Browse and find the filename of the updated block. Select it, click OK, AutoCAD SHOULD now warn you that the block you are trying to insert is already defined as a block, and ask what you want to do. Select REDEFINE BLOCK. This should work with LT, but I do not have a copy to test my theory with.

Glen

I can type attsync into the command line and comes up by asking "Enter an option [?/Name/Select]
in that case you should be able to add attributes. if you double click the block do you get the EDIT ATTRIBUTE dialogue box?

Also, try it without the constant set.

I get a Block Attribute Manager dialogue box when I type in battman. I also get an Enhanced Attribute Editor if I double click on the block. The tag that I entered shows up in the dialogue box. I just can't figure how to make it show up in the drawing when I I close out of all these dialogue boxes. I understand that I could probably save these as separate blocks and re-insert all the blocks, but it seems like there must be an easier way.

I was double clicking on the block, which in turn opens the block editor. Then from the Action Parameter panel I chose Attribute Definition. This opened a dialogue box where I placed my text on the "Tag" line and clicked on "constant" under mode. I also entered the text height I wanted and chose to "specify on screen" the insertion point. Do you think it's because I am not placing anything on the "Default" line? (by the way, I really appreciate the help here!)

Dave, I now realize that I need to place text in the "Default" line and that this is the text that will appear in the block. As many times as I read the help file I do not understand what the "Tag" line is for...they do not seem to list an example of how "Tag" differs from "Default". Any thoughts on where I could get a better explanation for this?

Any thoughts on where I could get a better explanation for this?

asking here is usually a good idea :)

I'm on holiday today so just from memory

TAG is how AutoCAD handles attributes. It doesn't really matter what you use but LISP & VBA get REALLY confused if you use the same tag name more than once in the same block.

PROMPT is what AutoCAD shows you. Make this as specific as possible so you know what it refers to.

DEFAULT is what will be shown on screen if you don't edit the box. I very rarely use this. Normally I have empty attributes and fill them in later.

constant - IIRC, you really don't want to use this. It means that you can't modify the attribute value once and it can only ever be what you put in the default. Remove constant and ATTSYNC your blocks. Then double click on each one in turn and input the desired value. This is where LT has cost you as it would not be too difficult to write a LISP program where you click on the block and then click on your MTEXT for the text value to be transfered into your block attribute. You will have to do that bit by hand with LT.

Dave, Thanks so much for the help and tutorial. I agree that I suffer ocassionly because of the LT program. My supervisor has the full program and yet he does none of the work (he just opens the drawings and looks at the pretty pictures). Usually the way it works...give the drones the used stuff and give the queen bee the shiny new tools! Guess I'll just have to work my way up to queen bee.