HP Pen Plotter

Doug_P

Unless you have a Autocad version R-14 or earlier, the text ought to be junk. I have used a H-P 7585B but get error mesages when work was done on a more recent edition of Autocad. If all work was done on via R-14 is will go w/o complaint.

At another forum it warned NOT to mix up or call up any raster type fonts (Like a TrueType one) or it will satay and stay inside the computer memory and thus not be able to print out.

And yes, you do need the special cable for the plotter or nothing will come out. If shown in your hand book as how to wire or make one, then do it that way. My plotter uses straight through wires (like many other than H-P do) and I can get a used cable for $1 each of about 15 feet long at the swapmeets.

Like Mark mentioned, you may be too new for the pen type of plotter.

And do not think that Winline driers will automaticaly work. This plotter only understands going from a DOS level. You also need to change your Autoexec.bat file some.

Wm.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rickard5

• ReMark

• Doug_P

• Fibonacci

Unless you have a Autocad version R-14 or earlier, the text ought to be junk. I have used a H-P 7585B but get error mesages when work was done on a more recent edition of Autocad. If all work was done on via R-14 is will go w/o complaint.

At another forum it warned NOT to mix up or call up any raster type fonts (Like a TrueType one) or it will satay and stay inside the computer memory and thus not be able to print out.

And yes, you do need the special cable for the plotter or nothing will come out. If shown in your hand book as how to wire or make one, then do it that way. My plotter uses straight through wires (like many other than H-P do) and I can get a used cable for $1 each of about 15 feet long at the swapmeets.

Like Mark mentioned, you may be too new for the pen type of plotter.

And do not think that Winline driers will automaticaly work. This plotter only understands going from a DOS level. You also need to change your Autoexec.bat file some.

Wm.

***Winline will work with ALL HP pen plotters and with good results with TTFonts.

WYSIWYG TrueType Font Support

• Renders any Windows TrueType font on all supported devices
  • Selection of outlines, fills, both or either

But first of all you need a correct cable

Get the right cable for your output device. Your WinLINE help shows you cabling diagrams for Hewlett Packard and other manufacturers.

Find out your plotter's DIP switch or front panel settings for serial communications, or set them to a known configuration such as:

9600 baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit

www dot plotterdriver dot it

They may say such in their advertisements, but I have telephoned the folks at WinLine directly downunder, and they tell me it is not always possible to get a repro sent to the plotter. First blame was via.... then, via.....

Wm.

• 4 months later...

I realise this is a old thread, but just in case:

Does anyone have any experience with modifing rapidograph pens to work in HP 7550 plotters. I have thought of a few ways but each has it's downsides, just wondered if anyone has a good solution.

I realise this is a old thread, but just in case:

Does anyone have any experience with modifing rapidograph pens to work in HP 7550 plotters. I have thought of a few ways but each has it's downsides, just wondered if anyone has a good solution.

***We can provide specific china ink plotter pens for your plotter HP 7550.

If it is what you are looking for.

www dot plotterdriver dot it

>>>plotter pens

Way back when on my older Calcomp 965 plotter, I think it was Fisher Pen Co. that used to make the pressurized ball points, so that it can run at the high speeds, instead of the slower 48 IPS. I found one firm in SE Los Angeles who had the BP pens, and bought every single one they had. After that, had to order them via some business down-under in Austrailia.

These were not a part of any Asian firms manufacture, so you need to look outside the bun here. If you can find ones that do not need any alterations, order them.

Wm.

• 1 year later...
2. HP Felt tip pens suck! It is worth the time and investment to buy some Rapidograph pens off epay to convert to plotter pens I can tell you how.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread which I just stumbled upon - but if at all possible, I'd love to know how to best convert Rapidograph pens to plotter use.

Best wishes,

// Christian

I remember our first plotter with fondness....we used to stand there fascinated for ages watching it, until it broke a 0.25 pen halfway through a 3 hour plot :lol:

Happy days :(

• 6 months later...

I have a mint 28 year old HP 7585B with books and cable, etc. Originally it was to be converted to a vinyl cutter, but I never got around to it. Anybody interested in making me an offer (local pickup only)? I am in Southeast Florida. If I hear nothing it will go on the Bay of e.

• 1 year later...

I have a Houston Instruments DMP56A A-E single pen plotter and pens. In the past I have used it to draw 3-4 plane circuit boards for a start-up. I realize this is an old thread, but it seems to be one of the only ones out there on the subject of pen plotters.

I would like to use the plotter again.

Are there any drivers that will work on Windows 7, Windows XP and windows 98?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...