mouse vs. hand pain

dusko

thank you all for respond :)

what do you think about those mouses:

1. http://www.fentek-ind.com/mvmlbb.htm#EvoluentWireless ... :?

2.http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=086

3. http://www.ergodirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=14798

4. http://www.ergodirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=14800

... or after all better solution is to use non battery mice?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• dusko

• Tiger

• Geoffers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A geometric grip is better than an "ergonomic" one when dealing static hand movements for lasting periods of time. At least thats what the experts say.

The examples shown by dusko are exactly what you should avoid, because they don´t permit small adjustments in hand movement and placement that help relieve pain and prevent injury.

A plain old mouse should do the trick for hand pain complaints

I have been using a mouse for many years now and have fortunately never had any problems but I always make sure that my mouse-hand forearm is well supported - lots of desktop space helps.

My wife does have problems with mice and she has used a Wacom tablet and pen, which she has found to be very comfortable. That might be an option worth trying if you are able to borrow one.

I think the problem is the repetive movment. I.E nothing changes

I think you would get more benifite from changing mice - any mice

6 month later change again and again

Don't only change mice but alter your chair height. Later alter your monitor height.

I like the idea of changing buttons to left mouse configuration

My wife does have problems with mice and she has used a Wacom tablet and pen, which she has found to be very comfortable. That might be an option worth trying if you are able to borrow one.

That's what I use. The tablet slowed me down a bit at first, but after adding a few more buttons to my toolbar and creating some lisp routines for various command sequences that I use often, I've become pretty quick with it. I still use the mouse about 25% of the time, but the discomfort that I was starting to feel in my wrist has gone away. I would say that the slight slow down in my productivity is a small price to pay for a pain free life. :D

Don't only change mice but alter your chair height. Later alter your monitor height.
I do this a dozen times a day, and I usually have my forearm rested

I always provide my own mousemat when contracting - none of these laminated top ones, it has to be soft fabric so the bones of my wrist aren't digging into the hard surface. It also keeps the skids on the mouse clean and easy gliding - less friction = less effort to move

I think my set up at home has a really small mouse movement area which covers my screen area, but elsewhere it feels like I'm shoving my whole arm right across the desk and out the door!

Anybody know where I can alter this?

I think my set up at home has a really small mouse movement area which covers my screen area, but elsewhere it feels like I'm shoving my whole arm right across the desk and out the door!

Anybody know where I can alter this?

Control Panel > Mouse (or Mice perhaps) > Pointer Options (that's what it says in Swedish anyway) > Pointer Speed .. the most annoying setting there is when you try to use another comupter and the speed is set to something other than what your used to!

Control Panel > Mouse (or Mice perhaps) > Pointer Options (that's what it says in Swedish anyway)

I thought that is English? :P

I agree with Strix about the mousemat. I don't know why but I just can't be doing with the laminated tops, has to be soft fabric with wrist support. Occassionally (for maybe an hour a day) I will do without the mouse mat if my arm/wrist is getting tired as it glides much better on my desk top.

I thought that is English? :P

you might think so but no, not really :wink:

and all this talk about hurting mousearms has made my arm hurt :(

Well I just got my "wrist splint" today... OMG its difficult to use a mouse now :( I hope my new mouse comes soon... (whatever they decided was the right one for me)

The examples shown by dusko are exactly what you should avoid, because they don´t permit small adjustments in hand movement and placement that help relieve pain and prevent injury.

A plain old mouse should do the trick for hand pain complaints

now i find this interesting.

think i'll search for mouse with low weight and size which fit in my fist perfectly. and that has adjusted ergonomy for thumb.

:wink:

Well I just got my "wrist splint" today... OMG its difficult to use a mouse now :( I hope my new mouse comes soon... (whatever they decided was the right one for me)

New mouse is here!

Oh no, no scroll! Looks like I might need to ask them to order a different one... One thats good for CAD

I am with CADTutor on this, plenty of room for my entire forearm to lay on the desk.

Having been a Welder, Mechanic and Fabricator before working in Engineering, I already had problems with my hands before working with CAD and it has helped a lot having my entire forearm supported.

I am with CADTutor on this, plenty of room for my entire forearm to lay on the desk.

Having been a Welder, Mechanic and Fabricator before working in Engineering, I already had problems with my hands before working with CAD and it has helped a lot having my entire forearm supported.

Seems like a mirror image of my working experience, sheet metal and steel fabricator. With formal education in drafting, mechanical drawing, and now AutoCAD. No heavy lifting, no welding hood.

Supporting my forearm, loosely handling the lightweight mouse, no hand or wrist problems.

Been in this biz for 40+ years. The only problem is glasses on, glasses off, near sighted, can read and work on the PC without glasses. Glasses back on for distant viewing. Monitor is a 32" LCD/TV mounted on the wall. Out of office, I really enjoy working on my IBM Thinkpad™, nice keyboard, beautiful crisp, clean screen.

Early 60's went to US Naval Air school in Millington, TN. Base is now closed I've heard. '64-'68 USMC. :unsure:

Was a very pleasant experience visiting Beal Street when on liberty. Loved it. :)

No pad, just plenty of desk space. I am set up on a corner.
oh yes, the corner desk goes without saying too! I also have one of these at home :)

now i find this interesting.

think i'll search for mouse with low weight and size which fit in my fist perfectly. and that has adjusted ergonomy for thumb.

:wink:

I've been known to pick an over small one and pad it out slightly :wink: