3d drafting???

dlxowhd

Eh, maybe, but here in Dallas Texas, Revit has completely taken over most of the big architectural firms that we deal with, and trust me it will continue being pushed and adopted. And I would even debate AutoCAD Architecture being used, ESPECIALLY for 3D which is what the original poster was asking.... :wink:

it is going to be the large program in the industry eventually, but there are some large hurdles to overcome before that can happen. Mainly for the firms that are not multi-disciplinary. the file sharing is very tedious with Revit IE everyone has to be using the same version as there is no backwards compatability. For large frims this is an easy one because they are a one stop shop. For us smaller guys it is the thing that kills Revit adoption. Most of us in the office know Revit, but we use many different structural engineers, HVAC, and electrical companies, and making sure they all have the most current form of the program is well. Not easy at all.

Autocad Architecture although having a very steep learning curve can do everything Revit can, (minus the cool parametric) but is still based on the industry standard DWG (which is a strength and weakness) I can bring in items from the previous to the most current version of MEP into our model with little problems. And Autocad Architecture is a very capable Modeling program, including all that is available in Autocad in terms of modeling, plus the added AEC objects within the BIM realm to produce some very nice models, quickly and efficiently.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• Noahma

• dlxowhd

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it is going to be the large program in the industry eventually, but there are some large hurdles to overcome before that can happen. Mainly for the firms that are not multi-disciplinary. the file sharing is very tedious with Revit IE everyone has to be using the same version as there is no backwards compatability. For large frims this is an easy one because they are a one stop shop. For us smaller guys it is the thing that kills Revit adoption. Most of us in the office know Revit, but we use many different structural engineers, HVAC, and electrical companies, and making sure they all have the most current form of the program is well. Not easy at all.

Autocad Architecture although having a very steep learning curve can do everything Revit can, (minus the cool parametric) but is still based on the industry standard DWG (which is a strength and weakness) I can bring in items from the previous to the most current version of MEP into our model with little problems. And Autocad Architecture is a very capable Modeling program, including all that is available in Autocad in terms of modeling, plus the added AEC objects within the BIM realm to produce some very nice models, quickly and efficiently.

Fine, you win. Revit is crap and AutoCAD Architecture is the best. :roll:

Fine, you win. Revit is crap and AutoCAD Architecture is the best. :roll:

I never said that. He had asked about what he should learn in terms of industry standard. I would suggest learning both what is standard now, and what will be standard in the future after it matures more, which would be Autocad and one of its verticals, and Revit.

Neither one is better than the other, they are on equal terms right now with Revit being slightly more polished in terms of parametric capabilities (both ACA and Revit are relatively the same age with ACA being two years older) They are both viable BIM solutions, and it is better to have knowledge in both than just choosing one or the other.

They are different means to the same end.

what you consider "Mechanical" ie nuts and bolts, HVAC.... or pumps, tanks and pipes (process)

for the latter I say MEP hands down

(jury is still out on plant 3D)

Primary Pump Station -24-23-09.jpg

Everything in Safwah's post above (with image) I've done using plain AutoCAD. Not to say that is the way you should go but I think Inventor would not be your best choice in software.

Oh so could I, but can you imagine what it would be like if you wanted to change the size of something? Or in autocad 3D's case, the one large solid you have been working on for the past 8 hours? Unless they changed that way solids are modeled in autocad since 09+ this would be a real headache.

Yes Safwah you're right. A size change or a major change to a complex solid could give one a massive headache and lead to a lot of loss time. There are drawbacks to using plain AutoCAD.