Block Library

BWells

I know that this site has proven time and time again to be the best collection of users to answer most CAD or related questions and that it's always striving to improve. On several occations i've seen things added to the FAQ because of the dynamic of this group.

One thing that i have noticed is that we here at CADTutor don't have a block librairy. I've seen it several times where a user inquires about various blocks, but is ultimatly lead to another site. What are the chances of putting one together here?

I think this is an excellent idea. I would not mind sharing my blocks with the cad tutor member. so we all can contribute & one of the moderator can organise/compile the library.

I think it's a great idea and something that's been on my "to do" list for a couple of years. The problem is that there isn't a off-the-shelf solution that will suit and so I'm going to have to write the application myself. With luck, I'll have some time to progress this over the next few months. I'd like to hear any suggestions from members as to how the thing should work. Should it have upload and download features? Is it for forum members only? Does there need to be a preview image of each block and a description? etc.

I think it's a great idea and something that's been on my "to do" list for a couple of years. The problem is that there isn't a off-the-shelf solution that will suit and so I'm going to have to write the application myself. With luck, I'll have some time to progress this over the next few months. I'd like to hear any suggestions from members as to how the thing should work. Should it have upload and download features? Is it for forum members only? Does there need to be a preview image of each block and a description? etc.

I think it should be members only. Will there be a way to check the blocks before they are uploaded?

please help

my boss required from me some interior detailes like wooden step and u shap seat and i dont have any idea about it

so if u can help me please dont hesitate

thanx

Andrew,

I have moved your question to the "Beginners" section Here. This thread is a discussion about building a CADTutor block library. When you have a question, instead of hijacking someone else's thread, please start a new one. Not only will you get more responses, but you won't disrupt a thread that is already in progress. :wink:

Uploading and downloading of blocks should definitely be for Members Only. Any member should be allowed to download blocks, but uploading of blocks should be limited to members with more than 100 posts. That way, some joker can't sign up, spam the boards to get 10 posts and then start uploading garbage. We just banned a guy, two days ago, who did something similar. It's too easy to blast out 10 posts to get full member priveleges.

The only potential problem I see, is the possiblity of an overload of uploads. I manage our drawing library at work, and I spend several hours every week, checking new blocks and updating our library. And that's just for our little company of 15 people. I can't imagine the magnitude of blocks that could come flooding in from all of our members. :cry:

Also, is there maybe a possibility of copyright infringement? What if people start uploading blocks created by someone else? Maybe someone has a website where they are selling their creations. Maybe these creations are 3D models, like the ones you get at Turbosquid or other sites. These models sell for $20, $30 or $40 each. Maybe someone gets these models from a Torrent download, or something, and then they upload them here. How do we safeguard against that? Unless we just put a disclaimer stating that This is a public community library and all content is provided by the members of this forum. We are not responsible and will not be held liable for any copyright violations for the content provided herein. if anyone finds that their own personal creations have been posted in this library, without their consent, they should notify us immediately and the file will be removed. Or something like that?

Will this library be limited to just Autocad only? Or will it be for 3DS Max, Sketchup, Inventor, etc.?

I will continue to watch this but it is unlikely I would join in. I think you may have to think carefully about the legal side of exchanging files. I doubt that my employers would like me uploading my work which has been paid for by them. They may well consider one of our blocks finding its way onto the internet as having been stolen.

While this may be a bit far fetched I have not changed jobs for over 10 years but I now work for the 4th set of owners in that time. It only takes one more change of ownership to have to work to a whole new set of rules.

I am aware of the potential pitfalls involving spam and copyright and any upload system would have to be designed in such a way as to take these into consideration but I do feel that the benefits of such a system would outweigh the problems.

Any practical ideas? Whould we need a DWF preview of blocks? Layering standards? Would all blocks need to be moderated/vetted? Would the contributor have to include a short written description of the block...?

Whould we need a DWF preview of blocks? Layering standards? Would all blocks need to be moderated/vetted? Would the contributor have to include a short written description of the block...?

Yes, yes and yes.

But this is where the hours of work come into play. Each submitted block will have to be checked against a set of standards for accuracy and quality.

In order to cut down on the amount of work on our part, I think we should come up with a standards checklist, so that anyone who wants to submit a block to the library, could use the checklist to run through and make sure the block they are uploading, meets the criteria that we come up with.

Once a block is submitted, we could use the checklist to plan check the block. If it passes all the requirements, it will move on to the library. If it doesn't pass, the author will be sent a set of comments instructing them as to what needs to be fixed.

The author should also provide the dwf file with their dwg when they submit.

The written description can, and should, also be submitted with the dwg and dwf. But in some cases, it will probably need to be re-written by us to ensure that it's clear and concise.

I think with any copy-written material, you just need to have a disclaimer like- "Any copy righted material will be removed either by Cadtutor or by written consent from author."

As long as your not selling the item, you just have to remove it.

• 1 month later...

I think a block library is an excellent idea. I also agree that it should be for members only. This site is one of the most useful I have come across over the years. A block library would add to the site greatly.

I think this would be a great idea as well! I've created over 100 civil blocks that I would most definitely share. I'm pretty much the guy who takes care of our block library and I'm constantly updating them.

You might want to look at Accustudio Exchange setup.

http://www.accustudio.com

Exchange Section

It has been thru 3 or 4 intinerations but all of them looked and functioned well.

A disclaimer with an upload is needed in order for something to become public domain. Limiting the site to members sounds good but it is public property once it it is given away. -David

Uploading and downloading of blocks should definitely be for Members Only. Any member should be allowed to download blocks, but uploading of blocks should be limited to members with more than 100 posts.

I would suggestmaking it 150 - 200, i haven't been a member all that long and i'm already nearing 60 posts.

Also, is there maybe a possibility of copyright infringement? What if people start uploading blocks created by someone else?

could there be some sort of disclaimer users could "agree" to where they say any blocks are their original work, and their details of which member name uploaded by which block in the library so that should this problem arise the moderators would know who uploaded what when.

• 2 months later...

has any progress been made with this? it sounds like alot of work for the moderators and admins (if its to be done right and be legit) but it would be worth it.

and IMHO i dont think it would be too much to ask to require members to have 200+ posts before uploading or downloading....i dont have 200 yet so im not being bias......the quality of the blocks being posted would be far beyond that of other sites because most of our 200+ post members are at an above average caliber and wouldnt likely post "trash"......CADTUTOR is one of the best sites, if not the best, out there and something like this would just improve its superiority