• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• Nick-H-

• nickydsl

• ENGOMAR

• 1 year later...

Not that I know of. Trust me they're worth the money if you're starting out.

Other than that, just monkey around with the program via tutorials online and what not. It takes time to learn MEP that's for sure. :)

We dont use it at our company (of 3 weeks) im getting more involved with the engineering side of things now instead of doing just CAD, (got no engineering quals) but will be working close with Mech designers, and want them to get onto MEP in the future - so want to get good/ok at it

what are in the books? are they like step by step? and tell you how to draw things etc...

Yeah one of them gives you a step by step run through for every trade involved in the program, plus all the extras like Layer Key Styles, Property Sets, Dynamic Scheduling, etc. It's what gave me the boost to get going. Once I did it, MEP became logical to me and I started figuring things out on my own. :)

Yeah one of them gives you a step by step run through for every trade involved in the program, plus all the extras like Layer Key Styles, Property Sets, Dynamic Scheduling, etc. It's what gave me the boost to get going. Once I did it, MEP became logical to me and I started figuring things out on my own. :)

Is MEP still good to use in 2D? I want to use MEP the next time I have to do a Ducting drawings. But i want to get into doing 3d boiler/plant rooms, as im working on alot of them at the minute and i think the engineer i work for would like to see what I could do instead of 2d schematics

Is MEP still good to use in 2D? I want to use MEP the next time I have to do a Ducting drawings. But i want to get into doing 3d boiler/plant rooms, as im working on alot of them at the minute and i think the engineer i work for would like to see what I could do instead of 2d schematics

There's a learning curve, but yeah it produces EXCELLENT 2D plans, especially when you start understanding the architecture of the program. That's why at my company, AutoCAD MEP has priority over using Revit because we are not only an engineering firm, we also are a construction company so our prints need to be "field friendly" for our guys to install it. AutoCAD MEP does very well in this department, and once you get fast at it you can REALLY pump out some plans, especially when coordinating with elevation issues. :)

Think im going to get the HVAC one and have a play, I tried to have a go at a tutorial on Youtube, but i wasnt doing something right? and couldnt see the video proper (well what it was showing what to do)

Are you in the building services field?

Yeah, we do HVAC, Piping, and some plumbing. We are an engineering firm as well as a construction company, so I do it all. Plus I started in the field right outta high school so I have 3.5 years of field experience, which gives me a bit of an edge when designing. :)

Yeh i should of gone on site first really, i need to get to college and get some Building services courses under my belt (does anybody know of any in lancashire, england)

can you do AC in MEP? do them book have tutorials in them?

sorry for all the questions lol

can I get these books from the UK? I just looked at buying one off that site and the delivery is $50 :(

You know, there are user guides to help you. Do you have a copy of AutoCAD MEP 2010 installed? They are installed on the machine withing the installation directory. If not then I can upload mine for you. They go over basically everything, but they just don't do it in a "tutorial learning" way. But it's the same content, really.

go to my site: http://www.tannarzane.com/

click on Files.

Your info:

Username: nick

Password: cadtutor

Grab all the ones you want. I'll leave them up for 48 hours then I'll destroy the files and permission.

*EDIT* And yes, AutoCAD Architecture is installed with MEP so you get the Architecture profile with all the tools as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Im just using MEP they got a copy at work now :) do you have any Ceiling mounted AC units and matching condensor? i cant find any on MEP

type MVPARTADD to bring up the Parts Catalog.

A note of advice.... the stock catalog is not that great, but use it for now to get familiar with out things work. I would recommend you using AutoCAD MEP as a drafting tool at first, just to get use to the functionality. It will take awhile for you to get the hang of it, and I will always be here to help. Glad to see you making the transition though. It'll come in REALLY handy one day when it all comes together. 8)

Im just really mesing about with it seeing what i can do, but i think ill use ti when i have to do a ducting layout will save a hell of a lot of time :)

I still cant seem to find what im looking for it something like this we normally install by mitsubishi

http://www.air-conditioning-uk.org.uk/design/images/ceiling-mounted.gif