any book learn mep??

ENGOMAR

yeah, definitely not gonna have that part. That's an extremely customized part. The only things you'll see in the catalog are strictly "general parts" only. Never use them unless it's a very simple plan layout. Always use cut sheets direct from the manufacturer when you start creating your own MvParts catalog.

Here's some good videos and links for AutoCAD MEP: http://www.youtube.com/user/AutodeskMEPTechs

And here's a good site from a guy who REALLY knows his stuff: (on the right side of his page, click "How To" for some tutorials) http://www.geniusoftllc.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• Nick-H-

• nickydsl

• ENGOMAR

StykFacE,

I am working for a Plumbing Company. My manager try to figure out which software to buy ...so he comes me, then I think I shall ask you first....Haha..

We just need the software to do Coordination drawing, Sprinkler pipe prefabricating..The Architec usually gives us set of drawings, then I have work with the other trades to coordinate it (the 2D Plan -Coordination drawing comes out very mess,)

so, I need some advices on these options: quickpen, cadpipe, cadduct or mep?

If I have MEP, shall the other trades get the MEP too?

When you use MEP to draw... Does the Architec provide you the 2D or 3D drawing? When you use MEP in an 2D drawing, so, what is going to be shown on 3D?

There are no 3D plumbing in MEP, how do you deal with the Pitch of Drain waste line? so Is it possible to do a clash check on PLumbing line? (Shall I get a software with 3D plumbing ?)

We just need the software to do Coordination drawing, Sprinkler pipe prefabricating..The Architec usually gives us set of drawings, then I have work with the other trades to coordinate it (the 2D Plan -Coordination drawing comes out very mess,)

so, I need some advices on these options: quickpen, cadpipe, cadduct or mep?

Well, I don't know much about plumbing and sprinkler pipe programs. I know that AutoCAD MEP is probably not going to be your first choice, since it's geared more for Mechanical HVAC Duct, Mechanical Piping, and Electrical. I'll give a sub-contractor a call that I have done 3D BIM drawings with before who does fire protection and see what he uses, I can't remember at the moment.

If I have MEP, shall the other trades get the MEP too?

No, they do not need the exact same program. Usually in this industry, the General Contractor uses Autodesk Navisworks to import all trades into for collaboration. :)

When you use MEP to draw... Does the Architect provide you the 2D or 3D drawing? When you use MEP in an 2D drawing, so, what is going to be shown on 3D?

Most of the time I get 2D drawings in, but I still use AutoCAD MEP and the 3D tools to run my application because it's faster than doing work in 2D. It still represents everything in a 2D plan view for plotting onto construction documents, and if I get something in 3D, well even better. Hope this helps some. :)

• 3 years later...

It's been four years since this thread was started. If the person who did so still hasn't figured out MEP maybe he should consider a career change. May I suggest accounting?

WoW, hi everyone , it's been 4 years already since I visited this site! I'm still using autoCAD 2008. Dell Optiplex Gx620, Pentium D cpu, and window XP. Our office server's 80Gb Hard drive still has 15Gb free.