Windows 7 - experiences

DODGE

i recently purchased a new laptop with windows 7 and am running 2009- it seems to work just fine aside from one very annoying issue i can't seem to find resolution to: the 'POLYLINE' command runs extremely LAG! once the command is typed in, actually drawing the line takes waaay too long and runs very lag between clicks for beginning, continuing & ending the segment. if anyone else is having this problem or knows a solution or something that may help- please let me know! i've done research and haven't found anyone else having this problem or a resolution to the issue.

I also have an issue with polylines.. (win7, acad 2011)

It lags a lot after typing the command. But when i start drawing the line it all works just fine.

Really annoying. It's hard to hit the right startpoint.

Other than that i've had some memory issues. (A upgrade of the graphic-card drivers helped a lot).

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• ntptorres

• RageBg

• DANIEL

I just put together a new PC. I am running Windows 7 pro and Autocad 2007. So far in the last few hours I have crashed Autocad six times. It seems to happen when I exit 3d orbit. At work I am using Windows XP pro and Autocad 2005.

A little more information would be helpful, starting with your full computer specs.

One thing you have to realize is that Autocad 2007 is not supported on Windows 7, so you may want to try running it in compatibility mode for XP SP2.

processor ~ AMD Phenom x 4 955

motherboard ~ MSI 785G-E53

graphics ~ Diamond Radeon 5770

ram ~ OCZ 2 GB DDR3-1333 X 2 for 4 GB total

hard drive ~ Western Digital Caviar Green Line 500 GB

psu ~ Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600

case ~ Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

os ~ Windows 7 pro 64 bit

I was using Autocad 2007 in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3

processor ~ AMD Phenom x 4 955

motherboard ~ MSI 785G-E53

graphics ~ Diamond Radeon 5770

ram ~ OCZ 2 GB DDR3-1333 X 2 for 4 GB total

hard drive ~ Western Digital Caviar Green Line 500 GB

psu ~ Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600

case ~ Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

os ~ Windows 7 pro 64 bit

I was using Autocad 2007 in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3

Well there is your problem...LOL

But seriously .... I have sold lots of units of AutoCAD 2007 with people trying to run it on "7" ('specially 64 bit)...it wont work. Stop trying. The compatibility mode is just an advertising headache. Sorry to bust your bubble.

The best thing you can do is set up a dual boot and run xp with 32 bit on the other side. I dont know about you but I live with AutoCAD and Architecture open...but it still doesnt phase the 3 gig of memory I have.( I have 4 but it will not recognize but 3) the 32 bit is limited to; as long as I dont do a lot of hard core rendering.

I upgraded my computer from Vista to 7, AutoCAD 2007 never had any problems on Vista so I'm pretty certain it is 7 that is the issue. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium, which doesn't have the XP mode. It has its own compatibility crap that it does but never fixes the issues.

So what you are saying is that I need to find AutoCAD 2009 or newer to work on Windows 7????

Zach571

I upgraded my computer from Vista to 7, AutoCAD 2007 never had any problems on Vista so I'm pretty certain it is 7 that is the issue. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium, which doesn't have the XP mode. It has its own compatibility crap that it does but never fixes the issues.

So what you are saying is that I need to find AutoCAD 2009 or newer to work on Windows 7????

Zach571

I personally dont know about "9"...but I know "10" will work

The more I read this thread' date=' the more I am convinced to stick with XP![/quote']

Amen...I bought me a big enough hard drive where I could have a dual boot system with "7" and "xp"

Most of the places I've worked have been small enough that I usually wound up wearing lots of hats...machinist, draftsman, manager, and maintenence man were among them. I firmly hold to the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". XP may not be perfect, but when the next 2 operating systems come with optional downgrades to XP, the maintenence man in me says "leave it alone". I will probably be forced to move a newer OS at some point, but it's gonna be "have to" case before I do.

Most of the places I've worked have been small enough that I usually wound up wearing lots of hats...machinist' date=' draftsman, manager, and maintenence man were among them. I firmly hold to the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". XP may not be perfect, but when the next 2 operating systems come with optional downgrades to XP, the maintenence man in me says "leave it alone". I will probably be forced to move a newer OS at some point, but it's gonna be "have to" case before I do.[/quote']

I have wore all those hats also and I couldnt agree more!!!

• 1 month later...

we've used 09 C3D on windows 7 machines 32 bit and 64 bit... you'll get fatal errors that you just can't figure out once or twice a day, but the new dell i5's for some reason just won't install it, weird... but I'm sure it's something we were doing. not that it matters for us because we are onto 2011 now but worth noting 09 works with some weird issues.

well 09 is not supported in 64 bit mode... so we were hacking to make it work.... it worked for us but even our reseller knows that there are issues with running 09 on 64bit windows 7. We had 8 different win 7 x64 machines and the ones with the quad cores tended to have more errors than the i5 dual core machines of later build.

Your IT department needs to be replaced. I have 2004, 2007, 2009 all running on a Win7 Ultimate 64-bit system. Look at my computer details. It's a custom build. What computers did your IT department buy? Samsung? Daiwoo? BrandX?

I wasn't aware that you knew so much about our IT department... maybe since you know so much about my peers, you already knew the following too?

We have 25 machines running civil 3d 2009 and two running 2011 in one office, plus 12 others running in 5 other offices throughout the country.

The computer giving us the biggest problem should be the one with least problems. It's a dell 3500 with twin 10,000 rpm drives a quad core 3.xx with twin fx580 cards. it's already burned up 1 hard drive and it's replacement (by dell) is on it's way out, they keep breaking heads.

....but you already knew that.

The Dell Precision T3500 is not one I would have picked. Our IT department selected one over my objections for a chemical engineer who also knows a little AutoCAD. He has complained from Day 1 about how slow his computer is. Heck, my work computer is 3 years older than this engineer's computer and it runs faster.

Are those twin 10,000 rpm drives by Western Digital (Veloci Raptor)? At work I run two SCSI drives; one at 15,000 rpm and the other at 10,000 rpm.

I've got to spec a new one for myself this year. Dell is out for sure. Even their Precision T5500 is nothing I would care to have. Now IT wants me to at least give the HP Z400 and 600 models a look-see. I could probably beat them out using a Velocity Micro setup.