Windows 7 - experiences

DODGE

every new machine here gets windows 7 now and every one of them have had this issue.

I wonder...

Is IT installing Windows are are the computers being supplied with Windows preinstalled?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• ntptorres

• RageBg

• DANIEL

I wonder...

Is IT installing Windows are are the computers being supplied with Windows preinstalled?

I believe they are installing it themselves.

Maybe Windows 8 will serve you well. :ouch:

thats so funny it almost hurt, no wait, it did hurt lol, thanks for looking at it at any rate :)

• 6 months later...

OK, just jumped to Windows 7 at work. So far AutoCAD/Revit suite 2012 works just fine. HP DesignJet 800PS prints just fine. Like night and day coming from Vista.

OK, just jumped to Windows 7 at work. So far AutoCAD/Revit suite 2012 works just fine. HP DesignJet 800PS prints just fine. Like night and day coming from Vista.

... 64 bit?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I learned on my gaming forum that 7 has an "xp" option. I believe settable to certain EXE files. The concensus was that it was put in for business apps, and not gaming. But ACAD uses OpenGL and DirextX like games do. We have som CAD guys there, but no one was on 7 yet.

One guy did upgrade to 7 but had to reinstall all his software.

One of the guys had a seperate joystick configuration that during install wouldn't work. 7asked him if he wanted it fixed, he said yes, and it fixed it

If you want to make XP stuff compatible:

Right Click, Properties, (Bottom Right Tab, Top) 'Compatibility', Check 'Run Compatiblity for...:,

:)

We're running Win7 Pro x64 on all of our CAD machines. AutoCAD/Revit 2010-2013 all work great without system issues.

Users keep creating their own issues, but that's different.

• 1 year later...

I've just installed windows 7 on a fairly old computer that I had built for CAD drafting (AutoCAD and Tekla) and it seems fine. After a days drawing on AutoCAD 2010LT the program was slowing hugely, to the point I turned the computer off. There was of course some 27 upgrades to install (go and make a cup of tea), then when restarting there were those upgrades to configure (another cup of tea). What seemed forever (I drink slowly) I was up, and cranked up AutoCAD and it 'seems' to be behaving itself now. I'm surmising the background activity of the upgrades was compromising the computer. In the past I'd turn the computer off maybe every 4th to 7th day, but I think now I'll turn it off each evening when I stop work. See if that works....

The way I treat my home rig is that I'll leave it idle overnight, but then once every 2-3 nights shut it down. It's like it needs its 'sleep' (Power off) so that it's sorted out any updates etc. etc. and then is good to go again.