13" laptop for 3ds,acad etc

candyberry

Hi all im after some advise and im hoping you can help.

Due to the nature of my work i do alot of traveling and im looking for a 13" laptop to work with 3ds max, autocad and CS4 and a few other graphic packages when im on the move. It will be used for some rendering however major rendering work will be done at home on my old m17 quad-core, dual gpu which is now used as a workstation as its just to big and heavy to carry around and the battery life which is just shocking.

I use windows only really for 3ds and prefer osx for graphics and everything else.

My choices so far is either the dell xps studio 13 or the macbook pro using bootcam for 3ds. Both are about the same price,size and spec also both can handle 8gb of ram. Im leaning towads the mac because of the screen quality but also the battery life, even taking into account the power draining of windows this will still give me a decent working span.

Any advice you can give me i would be very greatful.

I have four Thinkpad™ laptops. All are 14" screens.

I tired too quickly when carrying larger, 17" laptops. Will never go back!

All run AutoCAD beautifully.

Take a peek-a-boo online at http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=19C791A03AF24034A0011B825513BCED.

Welcome to the forums candyberry! Where are you posting from?

Thanks for the such quick responses.

Tankman thank you for the warm welcome, its great to be here and a this forum is a real sorce of information and i hope ill be here for along time. and im from england.

ReMark in answer to your question

Macbook Pro

nVidia Geforce 9400M with 256mb

Dell XPS 13

nVidia Geforce 210M with 512mb

Do either or both laptops come with a dedicated graphics card?

Thinkpad™ does have graphics, ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB with Intel Advanced Management Technology.

My T-60 has 512MB with Intel Advanced Management Technology. :thumbsup:

Runs like a champ! 8)

I'm still not convinced going with a Mac is a good idea although I did entertain the thought about two years ago. It was the price that soured me the most although I did feel some trepedation having to use an intermediary piece of software to make AutoCAD work on a Mac system.

Do either or both laptops come with a dedicated graphics card?

Don't know if the Thinkpad™ T-60 has a dedicated graphic card. I don't care. Resolution, speed, all's beautiful. I actually prefer the small 14" LCD screen on the laptop. Less weight, longer battery life, crystal clear resolution. Beautiful! Like none other and, I've owned perhaps every major manufacturers laptops. Never again.

IBM's service is second to none! Responsive, IBM is fast and aims to satisfy. IBM does it all.

Rather than carry 'em all over, I have four strategically placed.

Kitchen counter, daughter's home, son's home, leather laptop case,

I sync all including workstations, when I feel like it (if it's important to me).

My 36" LCD wall mounted monitor/TV is excellent but, these 14" Thinkpad™ LCD screens are beautiful. And, I don't have to sit in the office, nice but, I prefer mobility.

I have 19", 20", 23", 26", 36" and 42" LCD monitor/TV's in my house, where I do most of my work. You can work wired or wirelessly, anywhere on my property. All are PIP and/or PBP, all are cable enabled, watch the Yankees in a corner if you're working.

All have bluetooth too, if you are inclined to use it.

FYI. I don't work for IBM but, a friend does. Inexpensive used warranted Thinkpads™ are very inexpensive, no wonder I have 'em. Gave up all the others.

Spec's and review here http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2767.

Hold out and get a MacWheel!!!

As fast as I use a keyboard, the MacWheel appears slower. Interesting for those who don't 'type', I hit 50 wpm or faster prefer the keyboard but, time will tell.

Nice post alanjt! :geek: